Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 09:22 AM

Growth (wart) on my dogs neck

just noticed a wart like growth on my german shepherds neck, is it anything to worry about, should i get it checked by a vet? i just phoned my friend and she said it sounds like its just a wart and not to worry about it. its on his scruff
thanks
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Hoki has a couple of these in a similar area. I kept thinking they were ticks at first!

I probably wouldn't rush him to the vets but I would ask the vet to have a look next time I was there for something else. I'd also keep an eye on it and if it changes at all in size/colour etc, I'd then definitely see the vet.
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 09:56 AM
thanks, i will keep an eye on it. i will post a piccy and can u tell me if it looks similar to the ones your dog has

sorry about the quality, i just took them on my phone
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Difficult to tell for sure, but your dog's looks a bit longer than Hoki's. Hoki's are almost exactly the same size as an attached tick.

If you are in any doubt at all, get the vet to have a look to give you peace of mind.
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Difficult to tell for sure, but your dog's looks a bit longer than Hoki's. Hoki's are almost exactly the same size as an attached tick.

If you are in any doubt at all, get the vet to have a look to give you peace of mind.
ok thanks, do you have to be careful when brushing her etc incase you catch them?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by kirsty_ View Post
ok thanks, do you have to be careful when brushing her etc incase you catch them?
I don't with Hoki's because they are more compact that your dog's and her coat is mega thick. But from the photo, it does look like there might be a risk of you catching that one. I guess if you think it might cause problems, the vet may be able to freeze it off like they do with human warts?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Reah has one attached to the topside of her leg, although her's is black and tick like looking, she has hers checked though as it has grown luckily its just an old age thing with her but is just a wart
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 08:00 PM
dukes is a cream colour. Do you think it would be best to get it checked to make sure it is a wart? or i am worrying over nothing