View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Wow this thread is a blast from the past!
I thought I had been feeding tripe etc and changed to raww from Feb last year; after reading this thread I see it only since May!
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 05:12 PM
Oh crap, didn't realize the thread was that old, only just found the raw feeding section!
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Just my two penneth worth !!

Bilinghurst doesn't 'own' Barf, so I dont see why people keep referring to HIS way of feeding (BARF) compared to others.

BARF means Biologically Appropriate Raw Feeding, which means just that .......Biologically Appropriate !! It has very little to do with who writes about it in a book.

I do add veg, because I cant get fresh unwashed green tripe, and I feel after doing a lot of research that they need it and after spending some time not feeding it, and then some time feeding it, I saw the difference.

I also add Alaskan Salmon Oil and I also give a few supplements. Not beacuse I think they necessarily 'need' them, but because I want to help them anyway I can with their overall bodily systems..........the same reason I give my children a balance diet and Vitamins too !

I know people who feed either method with no exact rules and people from both parties feed supplements and/or veg all the time or ocassional veg. So I dont think it s a case of prey model feeders dont feed veg and BARFers do !! Each to their own !
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by angelmist View Post
Oh crap, didn't realize the thread was that old, only just found the raw feeding section!
Lol, I've done that a few times myself! Still some good info on this thread though. :smt001
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Just my two penneth worth !!

Bilinghurst doesn't 'own' Barf, so I dont see why people keep referring to HIS way of feeding (BARF) compared to others.

BARF means Biologically Appropriate Raw Feeding, which means just that .......Biologically Appropriate !! It has very little to do with who writes about it in a book.

Commonly (spl?) throughout the rawfeeding community BARF is used to describe Billinghurst's diet. Indeed on his website barfworld.com he has that little trade mark (TM) symbol after the words BARF diet.

So whilst the term was originally used to describe Biologically Appropriate Raw Feeding; it now appears to be a Billinghurst trade mark.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
Commonly (spl?) throughout the rawfeeding community BARF is used to describe Billinghurst's diet. Indeed on his website barfworld.com he has that little trade mark (TM) symbol after the words BARF diet.

So whilst the term was originally used to describe Biologically Appropriate Raw Feeding; it now appears to be a Billinghurst trade mark.
Yes I know

I just meant generally, that people should be more concerned with what the letters mean as opposed to who wrote about it !
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 11:30 PM
I think every single person does it differently. Just as we all eat our own different meals I guess (for ourselves). Glad to have the choice though.

Billinghurst coined the term, so I would say he 'owns' it?
I just use the word 'natural' or 'fresh foods' now. I don't like the prey model version, as my dogs don't catch their own dinner. And if they did, I am not sure I would give it to them...rabbits have fleas don't they...

''I do add veg, because I cant get fresh unwashed green tripe, and I feel after doing a lot of research that they need it and after spending some time not feeding it, and then some time feeding it, I saw the difference.''

I love that Mal, that is research, and it's useful. If no one else is going to do it perhaps we should do our own, then publish our findings! I was doing a bit with turkey vs. rabbit meat on 7 dogs, turkey seems to calm them. But then apparently the opposite happens at full moon, so I need to feed both versions at full moon and no moom. Damn this is confusing!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3