Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Well, just to add my two peneth worth.
I have read loads prior to going raw, & if I'm honest I don't know for sure if I'm doing the right thing.
I feed things like lamb necks, pig tails, pork trotters, lamb belly with some rib bones for a breakfast, this is very often frozen. Their later meal is then a mix of some fruit and/or veg in the blender to help it break down, some bio yoghurt, a couple eggs with shells, some meat, which is very often heart as it is so easy to get where I am.
Some days they get fish instead of the meat in this main meal.
I give no suppliments other than some codliver oil capsules for a treat every few days.
They get dried liver (dried by me) or cooked liver for training treats, which they both love.
When I'm having a disorganised period I also feed burns, with hot water and often a sachet of ready meat. My most recent thinking on the burns mixture is that I feed it after a day of fasting. We get less wind that way.
I hth not confuse.
x
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
Even though I'm not able to always provide the whole carcuss I still consider myself to feed a prey model diet. Definitly not barf as I have never read any thing by billingshurst and although he apparently now advocates less bone I think barfers tend to feed to much based on his guidelines. I don't feed veggies (only on the rare occassion) and I don't supplement and I choose chunks of meat over mince if I have the choice - but they do get mince.

I don't think you always have to feed the whole carcuss to be basing the diet on prey model but you make up what is called 'frankenprey' bits and pieces put together over time to resemble as close as possible what amounts of meat, bone, inerds etc would be found on the average carcuss.

I always base what I feed following that theory.
Hi Myschievous,

Thanks for the reply. How long have you been feeding your two like this and did you notice any changes in them when you started prey model feeding (if you haven't been feeding this way from pups that is). Would you mind sharing with me what is a typical menu for a week?

I've been reading up on the "frankenprey", lol. I think this would be how I'd be working it.

Originally Posted by skjerstad View Post
Well, just to add my two peneth worth.
I have read loads prior to going raw, & if I'm honest I don't know for sure if I'm doing the right thing.
I feed things like lamb necks, pig tails, pork trotters, lamb belly with some rib bones for a breakfast, this is very often frozen. Their later meal is then a mix of some fruit and/or veg in the blender to help it break down, some bio yoghurt, a couple eggs with shells, some meat, which is very often heart as it is so easy to get where I am.
Some days they get fish instead of the meat in this main meal.
I give no suppliments other than some codliver oil capsules for a treat every few days.
They get dried liver (dried by me) or cooked liver for training treats, which they both love.
When I'm having a disorganised period I also feed burns, with hot water and often a sachet of ready meat. My most recent thinking on the burns mixture is that I feed it after a day of fasting. We get less wind that way.
I hth not confuse.
x
Hi Skjerstad,

I understand what you mean about not being sure if you are doing the right thing. There is alot of conflicting info out there on raw feeding, each seeming to have legitimate claims on how their way works. It's a comfort to know that many of the websotes aren't out promoting it for profit though, as compared to pet food companies!

Thanks for letting me know what you feed. How long have your's been eating raw; and what changes have you noticed since feeding this way?
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2007, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post

Hi Skjerstad,

I understand what you mean about not being sure if you are doing the right thing. There is alot of conflicting info out there on raw feeding, each seeming to have legitimate claims on how their way works. It's a comfort to know that many of the websotes aren't out promoting it for profit though, as compared to pet food companies!

Thanks for letting me know what you feed. How long have your's been eating raw; and what changes have you noticed since feeding this way?
Have been feeding consistently like this for 10 months now, They are both in great condition, I find Molly has less bother with her anal glands.
Their coats are in top condition & they have loads of energy.
Poops are pretty good, the occasional sock in Nudges one doesn't help, but that can't be helped.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Lol, I think I'll leave the socks out of the raw diet!
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-05-2007, 11:06 AM
I just use the term raw feeding to describe the diet I feed my dog - but I suppose it is closer to the Prey Model than Barf is but I don't feed such a high percentage of bone as was initially recommended by Billingshurst (although I believe he recommends a smaller percentage of bone nowadays) and I don't feed fruit or veg as standard part of the diet. I do sometimes give a carrot for recreational purposes or the odd banana but only because my dog loves them.

I feed from a variety of species and use all parts of an animal except the weight bearing bones.. My own particular feeding system is balanced over a month or so and I don't have any fast days but feed every day. I give recreational bones in addition as and when I can acquire them and use dried cooked liver or liver cake for most of my training treats but also sometimes use the free trial samples of kibble for the odd time when I have run out of home prepared treats.
Scottish Mags
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2007, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
I would be worried about the digestion with feeding complete in the morning and raw at night!!

They digest at different rates and could upset the dogs stomach
WEll Mel so was I . I live in Scotland and until recently couldnt get any Landywoods up here
I joined Brit Barf and asked so many questions. I feed Arden Granden the morning and Raw mince with veg at night, The raw is minced with a little bone and the dogs love it . I also read that feeding the 2 together is as you say at different digestive rates but if you feed dry at one meal and Raw at another it shoukd be OK
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by Scottish Mags View Post
WEll Mel so was I . I live in Scotland and until recently couldnt get any Landywoods up here
I joined Brit Barf and asked so many questions. I feed Arden Granden the morning and Raw mince with veg at night, The raw is minced with a little bone and the dogs love it . I also read that feeding the 2 together is as you say at different digestive rates but if you feed dry at one meal and Raw at another it shoukd be OK
I have to say the whole raw/complete thing seems to be a myth as far as I'm concerened. Isla was weaned on Arden Grange dry + raw meat together and she had no problems digesting the two together!

I feed raw, but I on't feed BARF and I don't feed prey Model either, I just feed Isla what I believe is right from the research I've ascertained.

This is an example of Isla's weekly menu (although slightly more quantity now as she's off her diet! ):

Monday:
Breakfast: 2oz Kidney + 2oz Pilchards
Tea: 5oz Tripe

Tuesaday:
Breakfast: 5oz Chicken Carcass
Tea: 2oz Tripe + 2oz Beef mince

Wednesday:
Breakfast: 4oz Heart
Tea: 5oz Meat Mince Mix

Thursday:
Breakfast: 4oz Chicken Wing
Tea: 3oz Meat Mince Mix + 2oz Pilchards

Friday:
Breakfast: 4oz Beef Mince
Tea: 2oz Kidney + 3oz Tripe

Saturday:
Breakfast: 4oz Turkey Neck
Tea: 5oz Heart

Sunday:
Breakfast: 4oz Pilchards
Tea: 5oz Beef Mince

I tend to go for about 10-15% bone and 10% offal, with the rest being purely meat of varying proportions in the diet. She does get eggs and other products including cottage cheese if I forget to defrost or have nothing in!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Scottish Mags View Post
I joined Brit Barf as well, loads of great info there.

Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I have to say the whole raw/complete thing seems to be a myth as far as I'm concerened. Isla was weaned on Arden Grange dry + raw meat together and she had no problems digesting the two together!

I feed raw, but I on't feed BARF and I don't feed prey Model either, I just feed Isla what I believe is right from the research I've ascertained.

This is an example of Isla's weekly menu (although slightly more quantity now as she's off her diet! ):

Monday:
Breakfast: 2oz Kidney + 2oz Pilchards
Tea: 5oz Tripe

Tuesaday:
Breakfast: 5oz Chicken Carcass
Tea: 2oz Tripe + 2oz Beef mince

Wednesday:
Breakfast: 4oz Heart
Tea: 5oz Meat Mince Mix

Thursday:
Breakfast: 4oz Chicken Wing
Tea: 3oz Meat Mince Mix + 2oz Pilchards

Friday:
Breakfast: 4oz Beef Mince
Tea: 2oz Kidney + 3oz Tripe

Saturday:
Breakfast: 4oz Turkey Neck
Tea: 5oz Heart

Sunday:
Breakfast: 4oz Pilchards
Tea: 5oz Beef Mince

I tend to go for about 10-15% bone and 10% offal, with the rest being purely meat of varying proportions in the diet. She does get eggs and other products including cottage cheese if I forget to defrost or have nothing in!
Thanks for posting this, Rips. It's good to get an idea of what others are feeding their dogs.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 04:29 PM
I don't really follow any guidlines but my own. Until about a week ago I had never heard of the prey model diet I thought all trypes of raw feeding was classed as BARF. I'm not sure if what I'm feeding is 100% what it should be but they are doing great on it and are a picture of health (touch wood). Having read your opening post I think I would have to say I'm somewhere inbetween BARF and Prey model.

My dogs are primerily fed on beef (chunks with no bone), once or twice a week they get breast of lamb (on the bone), once a week they get liver, once a week they get pasta veg and cheese and about once every two weeks they get salmon. As an accasional treat they get hard boiled egg in shell or chicken legs. I use no suppliments except a small amount of garlic puree once a day.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Great Menu Rips. Done like that mine would prob be:

Monday
Dinner - Beef Chunks
Tea - Beef Chunks

Tuesday
Dinner - Breast of Lamb
Tea - Beef Chunks

Wednesday
Dinner - Beef Chunks
Tea - Salmon

Thursday
Dinner - Beef Chunks
Tea - Beef Chunks

Friday
Dinner - Beef Chunks
Tea - Beef Chunks

Saterday
Dinner - Liver Chunks
Tea - Beef Chunks

Sunday
Dinner - Breast of Lamb
Tea - Veg with pasta and cheese (or a full sunday roast if I cook one)

As said they also get garlic each day and an occasional meal of chicken legs. I don't feed much bone as my dogs don't seem to tolerate too much bone very well. Its pretty basic but my dogs are thriving on it.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >