Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lexi's People
New Member!
Female 

16-09-2010, 02:51 PM

Shih Tzu shuts down - boarding

Good Afternoon All

This is my first post - I'm looking for some help with our Shih Tzu who really hates us going on holiday.

She's just over 12 months. We got her when she was 4 months - we were told that her original owner had a skin allergy to her, but don't quite believe it. She was checked by the vet who said she was healthy, but she'd had no injections, wasn't chipped, and badly needed to see a hairdresser.

Compared to other dogs we've had, she's an angel in many ways. Very affectionate, sociable when we take her out, loves car rides and settles well whenever we go out. The big problem came when we left her at a good boarding kennel (used by previous dog) for a week's holiday in May. They stayed open late so that we could collect her, because they couldn't wait to get rid of her. She wouldn't eat, drink, have anything to do with the staff, and was snappy. Half way through her stay they put her in with another small dog, which calmed her a little.

In July we tried a weekend away in readiness for our hols in October. This time we took her to a "Special needs" dog lodge. No kennels, dogs roaming house. When we picked up the owner said he would not take her again. She sat in her bed, or against the fence, would have nothing to do with anybody, and they were afraid she was going to bite.

We saw a behavourist (who she loved at first sight). He said she had "Shut down" when she was boarding and gave us some advice on obedience and training. He boards dogs, so she is going there in October.

We'd like to help her if we can. We can't have a dog sitter because we have an office at home, which continues working whilst we are away. We're also worried that she will only be able to go to stay anywhere once!

Any advice would be appreciated.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Some dogs just dont like being with strangers. Obviously its not the "kennel" environment she doesnt like, as you took her to a home boarder and she was the same, but there isnt much chance she will be any different if you keep taking her to different places. I know this is hard as none will have her back, but perhaps if you find one that understands they may help?

Dogs can change dramatically when away from their owners, many owners dont even believe their dog is capable of it, but as you have found, as sweet as they may be, they can and do alter in a heartbeat.

Im very surprised if you left her a week without food or water, why the kennel did not contact you, to me, its unacceptable to leave an animal that long without water at least.

I do hope you find a solution.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Don't go on holiday or only go to places where you can take her, simples

If you feel you must go on holiday and leave her, well, you said the office stays open, well can no one in the office look after her in your home?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Could you find someone willing to establish a relationship with her - take her for walks, have her in their house for a few hours, then extend it? So she builds up a trust for them? Many dog-walkers also board so they might be willing to do this.
Lexi's People
New Member!
Female 

16-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Thank you for your replies - I was a bit surprised the first kennel didn't contact us, as well. At the time I thought they must have been exaggerating.

When DH phoned me to say the lodge wouldn't take her, I thought he was joking around. She's sitting there like butter wouldn't melt! Her hairdresser takes her every 4-6 weeks, with no problem.

I'm wondering if it's people or other dogs she's afraid of. Sometimes if we meet something that looks (to us) a bit fierce, she's run between our legs, so maybe.

I'll do some research on dog walkers. The behaviourist runs daycare, and I thought originally he'd suggest she went for a day a week (a few paw paintings, perhaps?). I'm terrified to suggest it to him before hols in case he can't put up with her either.

Do dogs ever need their confidence building?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by Lexi's People View Post
Do dogs ever need their confidence building?
Oh yes. I find positive training and teaching `tricks` are good ways to make a dog more confident. They`re getting so much positive feedback when learning, it extends to the rest of their experience.
Lexi's People
New Member!
Female 

16-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Oh yes. I find positive training and teaching `tricks` are good ways to make a dog more confident. They`re getting so much positive feedback when learning, it extends to the rest of their experience.
Thank you ClaireandDaisy - that certainly makes sense!