View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 11:17 PM
Ok I've done it too! Will be ineresting to see the results!!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Hi,

all completed! Good luck with it. My last dissertation took absolutely ages and I kept changing it. It drove me nuts.

The questionnaire was extremely well laid out and I had to think carefully about the answers. A good basis for primary research. I hope you get excellent results from this.

May we read it after you're qualified?

Laura xx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Good luck with you Dissertation Jan I agree with the other members, the questionnaire is well considered and laid out and may prompt people to look further into canine behaviour and training.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Hi Jan,
D'oh.
Sorry I just completed the survey and realised I shouldn't have as I'm a trainee Dog Trainer.

Can I ask you where you are studying? I am starting a similar course at Bishop Burton in September.
It would be great to have a chat with someone who is about to finish the course.
JJB88
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
Hi Jan,
D'oh.
Sorry I just completed the survey and realised I shouldn't have as I'm a trainee Dog Trainer.

Can I ask you where you are studying? I am starting a similar course at Bishop Burton in September.
It would be great to have a chat with someone who is about to finish the course.
Thats alright I will be able to tell the dog trainer I reckon from the results so far!

Im doing BSc Animal Behaviour at Chester, so that I can work with all animals not just dogs. I started out an assistant dog trainer and was offered the chance to set up a branch if I had spent more time getting experience. But I wanted to take on all animals and so decided to take the opportunity to do a degree.

So excited I have to tell you! I got an interview for a PhD in animal behaviour and welfare at Lincoln!!!! This was without references! I owe that to the Ichthus canine centre for teaching me and giving me valuable experience!

The lecturer who teaches the canine course at Bishop Burton (pretty sure it was Bishop Burton) taught the owner of The Ichthus Canine Centre who then taught me and the other ICC members. Id recommend it definately. They use the latest research so their methods are based on nice modern ways rather than the traditional one of beat your dog until it does what you ask.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-01-2010, 11:45 AM
..Well done! You are certainly progressing!

I chose Bishop Burton as it concentrates on dogs and dogs only. I think there are only two Courses available for the Foundation Degree in Canine Behaviour and Training.
There is a similar one near Liverpool, in fact it maybe Chester?
Three or four years courses have to be bang-up-to-date with their research but also look at the old ways! I've seen many short courses that simply teach wolf pack behaviour and why the dog is trying to dominate, sigh!

I hope I havent answered any questions in your survey foolishly!
I really enjoyed filling it out as it made me think.

Good luck with the interview.

Tony.
JJB88
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-01-2010, 12:56 PM
..Well done! You are certainly progressing!

I chose Bishop Burton as it concentrates on dogs and dogs only. I think there are only two Courses available for the Foundation Degree in Canine Behaviour and Training.
There is a similar one near Liverpool, in fact it maybe Chester?
Three or four years courses have to be bang-up-to-date with their research but also look at the old ways! I've seen many short courses that simply teach wolf pack behaviour and why the dog is trying to dominate, sigh!

I hope I havent answered any questions in your survey foolishly!
I really enjoyed filling it out as it made me think.

Good luck with the interview.

Tony.
I don't think Chester do a canine specific course so it was probably Liverpool.

Yer its good to look back on old training methods. One of my modules is ethics and welfare which is a history of how we treated animals. We were so cruel! Another one is applied learning and behaviour modification which is pretty much dog training. It also looks at aversive methods and the negative consequences associated with it.

I know another traditional thing is to treat dogs like wolves! Although the grey wolf is the dogs closest relative and they share similar behaviours doesn't mean they are the same species. The whole dominance thing is so over rated! For one its never set, for example one dog will pull rank over toys if he really likes his toys whereas a another dog will pull rank for beds if he loves his comfy places. And the thing that really bugs me is when people say the dog is jumping up or sitting on sofa and therefore being dominant. Ridiculous!!!!

Did you put your email in for an info pack/final report? If you did if you let me know what your email is I can find your results.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-01-2010, 02:15 PM
My email is tc@knac.com

So are you looking at doing research? I pretty sure no-one has properly research the effects of diet on a dog!

This was the other canine only degree course as far as I know...
http://www.myerscough.ac.uk/?page=co...ded%20Learning)
JJB88
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Thanks for all your help!!! Really appreciated and have got some interesting results!

I have 113 responses so far which is enough for analysis but I don't htink 113 represents the whole population of British dog owners so I am desperately trying to get more responses.

It seems to be ignored on non pet related forums. So I was wondering if you all wouldnt mind forwarding the link to a few friends that you know have dogs in the UK and who are perhaps not on this forum. It would be a great help!

Thanks again everyone!!!
JJB88
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-01-2010, 03:08 PM
My email is tc@knac.com

So are you looking at doing research? I pretty sure no-one has properly research the effects of diet on a dog!

This was the other canine only degree course as far as I know...
http://www.myerscough.ac.uk/?page=co...ded%20Learning)
Yes the PhD does research on animal welfare and cognition for domestic animals, primarily dogs but also horses. So will be good opportunity for me to expand.

Yes I was going to do a diet related study for my dissertation but it would require too much time to plan and the resources we get aren't brilliant.

I haven't heard of that last degree. They are few and far between. I think the Bishop Burton one is best, if you get yourself in touch with an APDT trainer you can get more experience through voluntary work. I did this and its invaluable.

Just found your results form the questionnaire. You definately recognise most things and are in the right line of thinking. Theres one topic of things that you obviously haven't heard of yet, I can't tell yet or it may effect future results. But it will be explained in the info pack. Im half way through it at the moment. With a little more experience and theory you will be a brill dog trainer!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2