View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Good luck with it Peedie. It can be an incredibly frustrating experience! Our rescue poodle was an appalling thief when we took him on - i put it down to neglect as he had never been fed properly so obviously just got used to stealing what he could to survive. It was so bad that once he stuck his entire face in a lasagne that had just come out of the oven - he was damn lucky he didn't get very badly burnt!!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Best of luck - I know what a pain it is but it does get better
Mia was a stray and a nightmare with food, she is small so it took persistance and bounce to get stuff off the counter, she jumped and grabbed in mid air then pulled it all down ontop of herself then enjoyed a feed
She is much better now
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Fortunately, my dogs dont steal from counters so we are pretty safe leaving stuff about. It's a good job really as there is always stuff out - dirty pots, left over food in pans, margarine left on the counter etc. Sometimes Flynn will go through periods where he will steal occassionally but a good telling off whilst caught red handed usually stops the episodes.

The OH's dog will get on counters on all fours. Our kitchen isnt Millie-proof so she has to be crated when she stops over. The other day, she stole a antihistamine from the counter at the OH's house. I mean, come on, what a ridiculous thing to pinch but it was a sedative anitihistamine so we had a quiet night whilst she zonked!

It is really frustrating as it's impossible to chastise them whilst you arent there to catch them. What about setting a situation up where you leave something on the counter and then watch outside the kitchen window. If the dog counter surfs, you've caught them red handed and can deal with it as you see fit.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
You will need to show a little care about the children. A mousetrap is very effective in making a dog leave something alone. Most dogs will stay away from anywhere they were surprised by a snap. The best part is that it is not you that is correcting the dog. It works whether you are around or not. The mousetrap is very patient and is always on task as long as you reset it.

Better than mousetraps when you aren't around is the crate. Other dogs may not be as bad as the young Labs I am plagued with. Still your house and dog will be much safer with the dog in a crate when you are away. The dog may be happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. They are harder for dogs to open too. Metal ones can be put in a corner or covered with something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select a crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, make take some work. Start out just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going in. If you have been able to trust it with any bedding, put that in the crate. Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at feeding time for more than one dog.

Here is another method that was in one of my newsletters. I haven't tried it.

Counter Surfing

Does your Foster Puppy counter surf; constantly checking the tables and counters for a tasty morsel that he is sure was left there just for him? If so, teach him The Can Can! For The Can Can you will need about 6 cans (empty pop cans with a few rocks or pennies inside them and a little piece of duct tape over the hole works well). Stack the cans in a pyramid on top of a piece of cardboard or paper to which you have attached a piece of string. Tie the string to the object that your Foster Puppy most desires from the counter top. It may be a dish towel or if it is food he is seeking, use a paper towel that you have used to pat down a piece of meat or maybe some meat juice. Then wait. When the object is snatched from the counter top the pyramid of cans will come crashing down, startling the thief. Your puppy will be caught in the act red pawed! You have just created a self correction! It may take several repetitions to get the point across, but soon your puppy will decide that it just isn't worth taking the chance.

I expect the usual outcry from those without wide experience. Dogs vary widely and it is possible to go a lifetime and never encounter one of the more difficult ones.
you have really outdone yourself this time!! thats terrible advice, just when I thought your advice couldnt get any worse, wham.....it drops to another all time low.

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Peedie you have had some excellent advice in this thread, the above post is not part of it and should be ignored unless you want to risk causing serious damage to your dog.

ETA I don't like disagreeing with other members preferring instead to post alternative suggestions, but in this instance I am making an exception because I don't think this kind of treatment of a dog is acceptable or should go unchallenged.
As mini says, please dont take the advice offered by labman, you could seriously hurt your dog, or cause all sorts of other problems.

there has been some great advice offered by other members, not much I can really add to that,

good luck x
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
You will need to show a little care about the children. A mousetrap is very effective in making a dog leave something alone. Most dogs will stay away from anywhere they were surprised by a snap. The best part is that it is not you that is correcting the dog. It works whether you are around or not. The mousetrap is very patient and is always on task as long as you reset it.

Better than mousetraps when you aren't around is the crate. Other dogs may not be as bad as the young Labs I am plagued with. Still your house and dog will be much safer with the dog in a crate when you are away. The dog may be happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. They are harder for dogs to open too. Metal ones can be put in a corner or covered with something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select a crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, make take some work. Start out just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going in. If you have been able to trust it with any bedding, put that in the crate. Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at feeding time for more than one dog.

Here is another method that was in one of my newsletters. I haven't tried it.

Counter Surfing

Does your Foster Puppy counter surf; constantly checking the tables and counters for a tasty morsel that he is sure was left there just for him? If so, teach him The Can Can! For The Can Can you will need about 6 cans (empty pop cans with a few rocks or pennies inside them and a little piece of duct tape over the hole works well). Stack the cans in a pyramid on top of a piece of cardboard or paper to which you have attached a piece of string. Tie the string to the object that your Foster Puppy most desires from the counter top. It may be a dish towel or if it is food he is seeking, use a paper towel that you have used to pat down a piece of meat or maybe some meat juice. Then wait. When the object is snatched from the counter top the pyramid of cans will come crashing down, startling the thief. Your puppy will be caught in the act red pawed! You have just created a self correction! It may take several repetitions to get the point across, but soon your puppy will decide that it just isn't worth taking the chance.

I expect the usual outcry from those without wide experience. Dogs vary widely and it is possible to go a lifetime and never encounter one of the more difficult ones.
That sums it all up for me really.
Corinthian
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Dear Abby: I live with a thief and whenever I leave my money lying around the living room, he takes it. What should I do?

Perplexed In South Suburbia

The issue is that you cannot teach self control and proper behavior as long as he has the opportunity to self reward. Habits establish neural pathways and in order to change this you have to 1) prevent the behavior from happening 2)create an alternate behavior.

Labman? A mousetrap really? I know that this is not your level of training expertise? Is there a dog training equivalent of a Poe? Because I suspect this is a parody of bad advice
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by Corinthian View Post
Dear Abby: I live with a thief and whenever I leave my money lying around the living room, he takes it. What should I do?

Perplexed In South Suburbia

The issue is that you cannot teach self control and proper behavior as long as he has the opportunity to self reward. Habits establish neural pathways and in order to change this you have to 1) prevent the behavior from happening 2)create an alternate behavior.

Labman? A mousetrap really? I know that this is not your level of training expertise? Is there a dog training equivalent of a Poe? Because I suspect this is a parody of bad advice
LOL well said and perectly put
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
you have really outdone yourself this time!! thats terrible advice, just when I thought your advice couldnt get any worse, wham.....it drops to another all time low.
i thought that same... he has surpassed himself though... never thought he could do that...
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 09:18 AM
I used to think Labman was an aged person with occasional periods of lucidity...
but now I`m not so sure.
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 09:25 AM
Don't worry guys, I don't want to get sucked into a fight but I will not be placing mouse traps over my kitchen surfaces
New bin is en route, I am making sure food isn't left lying around as I realise this is self rewarding behaviour and the more he gets 'rewarded' the more he will do it. It's just getting everyone else to do the same now...! I can but try.
Thanks again for all your help, it's very nice to hear I'm not alone tbh
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2