Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2011, 06:50 PM

Opinions please

I am doinga bit of market research for a friend and I would be grateful for feedback and opinions please.

If you feed raw you are welcome to input but I don't think it is relevant to raw feders really.

When you look at a commercial dog food what do you look for----how important is price?
Does having it delivered FOC make a difference to you?

Is it more important to be able to go to a local supplier and get it?

Are 15kg sacks too much in one go?

Does the packaging make any difference?

If you knew that dogs that were winning at agility etc were being fed on it would that make you more likely to try it?

Do you want lots of different 'flavours' for your dog or are you happy with just one and then you add the more interesting bits?

How important is the no additives and/or colourings?

How important is a good website?

Thanks in advance.

rune
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
----how important is price?

Quite important , cheap dog food scares me

may be a Desciding factor, but not high on the list

no, but would again all things being equal, good

o bigger the beter!

no

If you knew that dogs that were winning at agility etc were being fed on it would that make you more likely to try it?

Id want to know that dogs were doing well on it, case studies are always interesting

Do you want lots of different 'flavours' for your dog or are you happy with just one and then you add the more interesting bits?
I like a few different flavours

Very

Very, if you cant be bothered to get a good website.....why should i trust your dog food

rune
Hopethats hel[pful
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Very thanks---especially re the website!

Do you mind telling me what food you use?

Thanks

rune
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2011, 08:36 PM
I feed part raw, part dry. The dogs chose the dry food I use at present!

I am doinga bit of market research for a friend and I would be grateful for feedback and opinions please.

If you feed raw you are welcome to input but I don't think it is relevant to raw feders really.

When you look at a commercial dog food what do you look for----how important is price?

Fairly important. I've found cheap food tends to just be full of crap and just goes right through the dogs so you end up feeding twice as much just to get the same results as an average priced food. In the same respect I also have a budget so expensive food no matter how good is out of the question. I currently pay £35 for 15kg if that helps with my idea of average.

Not so much now as I have a car and a partner who can drive but in the past yes as I did not drive and always bought 15kg bags which can be a pain to carry any distance, when I had puppies I bought in bulk so again getting food delivered would have been good.

Not really though it would be nice if I could.

Definitely not but then I have 3 big dogs so I never buy anything smaller.

Nope.

Possibly make me more inclined to look into it, but ultimately it would come down to whether I was happy with the ingredients followed by whether my dogs liked it.

A couple of different flavours would be good

Fairly important.

Again fairly important.

Thanks in advance.

rune
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 04:43 AM
Very thanks---especially re the website!

Do you mind telling me what food you use?

Thanks

rune
I use CSJ from a supplier & Orijen from Zooplus
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 08:18 AM
[QUOTE=rune;2302493]

Price is important as I have a budget and so I have to be able to afford enough of the food for a rather big Labrador

It makes life easier but is not THE most important thing.

Not 'more' important, no. But it helps that I can do this if for some reason the delivery is too slow, yes.

I feed a wet food so this doesn't really apply.

The packaging makes no difference ultimately. At the start when a person is in a pet shop looking at the various brands, then yes, the packaging might make a difference.

No. I can honestly say this makes no difference to me at all.

I prefer two or three different flavours if possible.

VITAL! For me, this is a dealbreaker. I always contact the company that produces a food to check which preservatives etc go into it before feeding it.

It's important that the key information is on it. For example, if the ingredients are not listed fully I will not be happy; this is the case with one or two foods that I looked at in the past.

This aside, as long as a website is clear and all the other relevant info is there, that's all I care about.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 08:29 AM
I feed some raw some dry, so I'll answer for the dry food.

reasonably important. I want to stick to my budget but not be ripped off. I won't buy cheap stuff, but I won't pay £50 a sack either.

no, but I drive

yes, I think so.

no, but I have three large dogs so anything less won't last

no, not a jot

not for my low energy dogs, no, I'd worry it would make them hyper!

no, I wouldn't need different flavours, as they have meat in it anyway

very, I try to buy as healthy as possible.

very important, I like to be able to access information about their food easily and quickly.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 09:38 AM

I try to go for middle of the road price, although i am paying £ 21 for 15kgs at the moment i would go up to £30/35. Couldn't really afford to pay more than that. So i try to go for the best available for my budget

The supplier i get my food from delivers it FOC.(CSJ)

Would be good to be able to get it commercially in case i run out, i have to be organised and make sure i order before i finish the bag im on.

No, not too much but i have trouble storing it, i need to invest in a container.

Packaging at the moment is plastic, i would prefer paper as its recyclable and i think its better for the food inside.

If you knew that dogs that were winning at agility etc were being fed on it would that make you more likely to try it? by them

The food i am currently feeding is used widely by agility people and its recommended by them

I really only feed fish/salmon based food as i have a sensitive dog with colitis and sensitive skin

I would not feed anything with these in apart from natural preservatives

Websites are good for information, and i think its a must these days i can't see how the food could be promoted without one

Thanks in advance.

rune
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 11:33 AM

Relatively important - on a budget so need to get the best value possible

No

Yes

No, but prefer smaller

No

No

Always buy in different flavours

Extremely

Not at all - prefer to look on the bag for what's in it
NCA1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-07-2011, 12:42 PM

I look for quality first- but price is important. Working part time, i can't really afford the most expensive foods, but will not feed my dogs bad quality/'cheap' foods. Things like Burns, James Wellbeloved, naturediet etc appeal to me- not quite as expensive as royal canin/hills etc but good quality ingredients.

It would do yes, but then i hate paying for postage for most things! It's just something that annoys me for some reason Then again, if i want something enough, i'll pay anyway.

That is always good, but delivery would be fine.

For my little dog, definitely. I've had a 14kg open for blinkin ages and only a small way through it. For my large dog when he's fully grown, probably not.

Not really- but if the ingredients are good i sort of expect the packaging to be half decent.

Not really- each dog is different, and agility dogs win because of how they are trained/worked/built/bred/etc not really the food they eat- though of course they have to be healthy to run, i'm sure dogs are doing well in sport on foods such as pedigree, too.

A range of flavours is good, but not a huge deciding factor.

Very. Additive hyper dogs = bad.

Very important if i'm buying from a website. Must look professional and be easy to use.