Our sister sites
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-01-2008, 01:16 PM

Smart Move Clarkson

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7174760.stm

Clarkson stung after bank prank

TV presenter Jeremy Clarkson has lost money after publishing his bank details in his newspaper column.

The Top Gear host revealed his account numbers after rubbishing the furore over the loss of 25 million people's personal details on two computer discs.

He wanted to prove the story was a fuss about nothing.

But Clarkson admitted he was "wrong" after discovered a reader had used the details to create a £500 direct debit to the charity Diabetes UK.

Clarkson published details of his Barclays account in the Sun newspaper, including his account number and sort code. He even told people how to find out his address.

"All you'll be able to do with them is put money into my account. Not take it out. Honestly, I've never known such a palaver about nothing," he told readers.

But he was proved wrong, as the 47-year-old wrote in his Sunday Times column.

"I opened my bank statement this morning to find out that someone has set up a direct debit which automatically takes £500 from my account," he said.

"The bank cannot find out who did this because of the Data Protection Act and they cannot stop it from happening again.

"I was wrong and I have been punished for my mistake."

Police were called in to search for the two discs, which contained the entire database of child benefit claimants and apparently got lost in the post in October 2007.

They were posted from HM Revenue and Customs offices in Tyne and Wear, but never turned up at their destination - the National Audit Office.

The loss, which led to an apology from Prime Minister Gordon Brown, created fears of identity fraud.

Clarkson now says of the case: "Contrary to what I said at the time, we must go after the idiots who lost the discs and stick cocktail sticks in their eyes until they beg for mercy."
I find that quite funny, it was good that whoever did it put the money to a charity.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Ha HA!!! i like clarkson but sometimes he really puts his foot in it!!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Funny but really frightening.
It shouldn't be possible for money to be taken out with just the account details...Barclays should get into real trouble over this. As for them using the Data Protection Act as an excuse for not finding who did it - IMO that's just a red herring to cover up their ineptitude.

If I banked with Barclays I would be asking them serious questions about their security arrangements.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Stormey you've made my day with this post, I can't stand clarkson, he's an arrogant sod, and he knows very little about motors, I read somewhere he slipped a disc in his back last year whilst changing gears in his motor that says it all about him.
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Laughed my head off
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-01-2008, 03:38 PM
That will teach him.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 03:41 PM
lol

I like Clarkson cos he can always admit when he's wrong
Mel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
lol

I like Clarkson cos he can always admit when he's wrong

Exactly ..at least he had the sphericals to stand up and admit he was wrong ..shame so many politicians can't do the same thing
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2008, 04:26 PM
I love Clarky and it was very big of him to admit his mistake, but I have to say I was horrified at how easy it was for someone to do this
I have lost count of the number of times I have given my bank account details to companies for direct debits, and it seems that it would only take one unscrupulous person to steal my details.

I can't believe the Data Protection Act is preventing him finding out who did it, though!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-01-2008, 04:29 PM
From what I gather the DPA is stopping him from doing so as he has not reported it as a crime.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >