Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 10:29 PM

Barking at other dogs when in car

Building Mias confidence is a long and slow road. I have stratigies in just about every situation to manage things and calm her when she has a reaction to other dogs

But what on earth can I do when she is in the car??
She gets carsick if she dosent look out the windows - her prefered place to travel is on the back parcel shelf
Even if she is cliped into the seatbelt she will find a way up there! But wherever she is sitting she is a total angel - unless she sees another dog
Then its bark howling and jumping around for a few min - and then on the lookout for other dogs

When I was on holiday driving around lots after about 1 hour she gave up barking at dogs - and I had my mum there to hold her lead and stop her jumping about - but every day it was just as bad till that hour had passed

any ideas what I can do when I am just by myself driving?? I am in a Mini so a little restricted as to where to put her or anything - and I cannot grab hold of her, treat her or even squirt her with water when I am driving - I wouldnt use a loud noise anyway as she is noise sensitive
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2009, 07:16 AM
The only thing I can think of is to get her more used to it by finding somewhere to park where lots of dogs go past.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2009, 09:00 AM
We had a barker once. We tried everything - spray collars, covering the crate (it was a van), having me sit with her, and even ACT (on a long journey). Everything worked for a few minutes - then off she went at an ear-splitting volume. In the end my friend refused to take us anywhere
Not helpful, but thought I`d share.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Would a spray collar freak Mia out?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2009, 10:31 AM
thanks guys, just after i posted i was thinking of parking up by the park, with earplugs in and waiting till she was quiet

when she is reacting mia responds to anything new as an attack so something like a spray collar would just make her think she was being attacked, and i have to have ben in the car too so she might turn on him by accident

guess like everything its just gonna take time
EnR
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Rossi barks at alot of things when he's in the car - dogs, cats, joggers, cyclists, strange looking people; he even barks at members of my family if they approach the car when we're parked until I open the back up so they can stroke him and then he's everybody's friend. I just ignore him. Being one of 7 children, blocking out noise was an art I learnt when the four younger ones were born.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Teagan goes mental when she see's another dog and is in the car.
My whole car shakes, cos she's big, and jumps up and down when she barks!
EnR
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2009, 02:17 PM
I thought it was a perfectly normal thing to do, they're just protecting their property from other dogs. Rossi wouldn't let another dog except Enzo in his car either. If it was a posh Range Rover I'd understand but why he wants to be so possessive over the tractor I don't know.
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2009, 04:05 PM
I don't think it's normal really - I have four dogs, 3 of which are perfectly calm when we pass dogs in the car and one 8mth old pup who simply goes balistic!

I'm about to get her homeopathically treated for it, so I'll let you know how we get on!