Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy Lady
New Member!
Female 

24-05-2010, 07:21 PM

Is it OK to feed my dog cheese?

Hi
My staffordshire bull terrier loves cheese and likes it sprinkled on his bakers complete, someone has told me that cheese is not good for dogs. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Thankyou
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 07:27 PM
personally, Id be more worried about the bakers food. Bakers is full of preservatives and colours and crap basically! sorry.

On the other hand, My SBT loves cheese. Id probably not give it everyday, as like humans it wont be good for them everyday, but given as a treat in small amouonts then go for it!

Its the only thing that keeps mine still when im tryi ng to clip her nails!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Most dogs adore cheese, and would consider it an actionable offence if their owners denied it (my poor boy is not allowed it because of his allergies, but my previous dogs would do absolutely anything for a piece of cheese).

Obviously though, it should be given in small amounts - either as tiny treat rewards or a little bit grated on the food as you have been doing. Too much of anything in addition to the basic food is not good.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Yup, its high fat so I wouldnt feed loads but a great training treat
I agree and would ditch the Bakers - colourings, additives and sugar - nasty stuff
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Bakers = YUK
Cheese = YUM

'Nuff said
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Cherry has gone a bit fussy with her morning dry kibble since she has gone blind/partially sighted in one eye so I have been sprinkling a small amount of grated Parmesan on so she enjoys it. She goes by smell now so she likes the smell of the cheese but I don't give her a lot.

I would echo the advice about changing from Baker's. My sister used to feed her Bichon this and when we used to visit with Parker it would be on the floor in her dish and Parker wouldn't touch it and he normally eats anything!

All those funny coloured nuggets are just designed to appeal to owners I'm afraid.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-05-2010, 09:45 PM
A little cheese isn't going to hurt. It is true it is high in fat and calcium and very much will ruin its balanced diet.

Bakers may have additives it doesn't need, but there is little evidence they hurt anything. If your dog is doing well, I would continue it. Many people change to ''better Foods and wish they hadn't.
littlefoot
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Bakers = YUK
Cheese = YUM

'Nuff said
Totally agree with that. My Labrador came to me eating Baker I quickly changed him onto CSJ http://www.csjk9.com/productcart/pc/...=6&pageStyle=P
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Hi Rachel welcome to Dogsey .
I agree with the other members who say a little cheese is fine I use tiny slivers of cheese for training treats. Cottage cheese is also good for dogs.

I would also change from Bakers to a better quality food.
This is just one example of Bakers food, complete Beef and and vegetables, the various flavours are all pretty similar...
Cereals, Meat and animal derivatives (Minimum 4% fresh meat in the soft moist kernel, minimum 4% beef in the natural and brown kernels), Vegetable protein extracts, Oils and fats, Derivatives of vegetable origin (0.5% beet pulp in the natural and brown kernels), Various sugars, Minerals, Vegetables (minimum 4% vegetables in the green and yellow kernels). With antioxidants, coloured with and preserved with EC additives.
I make that 8% meat and 4.5% other things not sure what the other 87.5% is and why are they putting sugar in dog food?
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 08:02 AM
Yep cheese in moderation wont do any harm. But I am led to believe that dogs cant digest lactose very well (if at all, after a certian age) so if you feed to much i would imagine it would end up with the runs (just as you should really avoid cows milk for dogs, goats milk isnt as bad).

Parmesan is quite a salty cheese as well (well my taste buds think so) so everything in moderation really
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >