Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Like recalling regardless of distractions?

rune
You asked ..
Originally Posted by rune
What would you consider a well trained dog ought to be able to do?

rune
The answer is the same as before, what I asked if it.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 05:46 PM
I remember taking that pic jb, that time it was ears I have some more recent pic with the same command, marking a moment with a word is not hard, but if he had his eye on anything I would of realised him to put on lead, or just put him on a lead, I would not risk getting him to look alert unless I knew there was nothing there, but even if
I did this in a friends garden, onlead with treats he would still face the same way, and look the same if I tell him ears, or ask whats that.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Nothing to do with the picture of Diesel more to do with the fact your assumption, that those who show dogs in certion positions are not as good as you at getting a dog to stand alert Basically, if I achieve this, with only a word, then why cant they!! The fact is Chaz, thats the way they show their dogs, they would not be satisfied if their dog just stood looking into the distance, The dogs need to show "ATTITUDE"! they wont get it by saying "whats over there"!
Lol, I don't think I made any assumtions and would never thinl I'm better then someone else, but just another thing you've just read what you want, it just doesn't have to be there for you to see it , I asked questions, and I got a reply from someone else, but with you its just amusing to see what you will try to turn my posts into to try and make points, but at least I don't get bored with it, its quite entertaining really.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
You asked ..

The answer is the same as before, what I asked if it.
That is very open ended isn't it---an answer worthy of Tony Blair!

It does answer one of my unspoken questions though.

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 06:47 PM
What about anything else? Is it all irrelevant?

Sit, down, come back?

rune
Depends on what you are doing doesnt it. I wouldnt want a dog to sit or lie down when Im lamping Rabbits, nor catching them in the day time. Recall is part of retrieve, all one for a Lurcher.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Depends on what you are doing doesnt it. I wouldnt want a dog to sit or lie down when Im lamping Rabbits, nor catching them in the day time. Recall is part of retrieve, all one for a Lurcher.
But recall and staying still in the face of something intresting is different, if mine see something intresting I have enough time to recall and put on lead, if I asked them to stay when looking at say a hare or pheasant, or horrid squirrel somehow I don't think mine will do a stay too long
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
But recall and staying still in the face of something intresting is different, if mine see something intresting I have enough time to recall and put on lead, if I asked them to stay when looking at say a hare or pheasant, or horrid squirrel somehow I don't think mine will do a stay too long
Thats your problem though not mine! ANY decent working animal can be stopped, Lurcher anyway. When a dog takes chase, control is what you should have in abundance, when working a single dog at least. If you dont have the control, keep your dogs on a lead.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 07:45 PM
How have you trained your lurchers to not chase till told Dawn?

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 07:48 PM
How have you trained your lurchers to not chase till told Dawn?

rune
No, I dont have Lurchers, but you know that! I have my Terriers though. I can stop any one of them, most likely two, I doubt I could stop all three together, but I wouldnt be stupid enough to have them all loose in a place where I was likely to meet such quarry.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 07:50 PM
I have enough control of him, unfornatly he has the highest prey drive in a dog I have experienced (but only outside, inside he is different, and even good with the rabbit) but if I left him it would be too much for him to deal with, and almost every lurcher or grey I know Honey will recall off a chase, Diesel you have a chance, more then likely wont, but gets nervous on his own, and runs back as fast as he went into the chase , but I would never expect a lurcher to just stand in the face of prey and just look at them, they either in my experience will chase, or need a distraction to save themselves, instincts can surface at any time, and I wouldn't risk allowing that to happen if I can help it.
Page 32 of 35 « First < 22 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 >