Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 01:35 PM
That's foul

Killing it simply because it's the wrong colour ?!? They might as well kill all yellow flatcoats, so what if it's a different colour ? As long as it's healthy it has a right to life.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 01:48 PM
seems barbaric to me
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 01:51 PM
Oh thats horrible
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 02:23 PM
I thought all that was something that went out years ago....didnt realise people were still doing it.

Things like this are sickening, no need for it, totally inhumane. upsetting.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 02:40 PM
It seems that some of these old, once accepted practices are still going on behind closed doors - I hope to goodness the pups concerned, poor things, were put to sleep and not drowned in a bucket or something...to me that must be the worst way to die
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 02:50 PM
culling for cosmetic / colour / is terrible.
I have been asked recently if I had to cull any of my rottie pups due to having white on them it stunned me to say the least. My only responce was to say " you can get a lot worse in a rottweiler than a few white hairs " not the best response but the only one i had. Aparently it is done regularly by some folk
I bottle reared 11 pups in the summer after mum gave up when the pups where 10 days old. spent 20 hours a day doing it for the first week and a half, but they are so worth it,
If I ever have a pup that is sick has a deformity I will be straight on the phone to the vet, the thought of drowning a pup makes me ill, and I noticed in a previous post some are even killing by what I gather as a blunt blow to the head. People that can do this need help, what else are they capable of??
X shona X
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Culling was used many years ago when breeds were being established.I think I am correct in say that it is illegal to cull animals ? Only a vet can legally put an animal to sleep.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 03:19 PM
The British Dalmatian Club stipulate that any bilaterally deaf puppies from a litter must be culled to breed out the defect.

It's because nobody can be sure that new owners will neuter deaf pups and prevent more being born as it is hereditary.

If I ever decided to breed, which I would like to do one day, I know that I would only breed if I had the time and effort to put into a deaf dog as I know I'd be keeping any bilaterally deaf pups a bitch of mine might throw.

I haven't joined the breed club despite my obvious enthusiasm for the breed, and the culling issue is the only reason why. I can't bring myself to agree to it. However, I can understand that in some cases, this could be the lesser of the two evils to prevent more deaf pups being born, and a deaf pup going to someone who simply isn't qualified with experience to care for that deaf dog.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 03:21 PM
by culling - I mean being pts by a vet...
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 03:21 PM
Well I think that is despicable of a breeder to cull because of colour!
Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »