Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
eriksen
New Member!
Male 

03-04-2011, 06:36 AM

Can microfiber give skin allergy?

I have washed my dog with a microfiber cloth almost every day after each trip out and she has got skin problem which give her sore paws and she also reacts on pollen when she is running between bushes and rolling in the grass.

Can the microfiber wash has created this by removing the protective layer of fat on her skin, and maybe also left fragments of these fibers into her skin?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2011, 09:04 AM
I am struggling to understand why anyone would wash their dog daily?

Do you bathe her entire body or just her feet.

Are you bathing her because she has sore feet or do you believe that washing her has caused it?

FWIW dogs can have allergies to pollen and grass etc etc and I knew of one dog that had to wear boots at ALL times when on grass.

If you are concerned about this your first port of call is your vet, they can prescribe anti histamines and steroids if necessary. However there is nothing to stop you giving antihistamines to a dog (preferably under vet guidance) IF this is the cause.

Have you been running the dog on farmers fields? This is the season for spraying which can result in irritation or worse in dogs.

If an allergy is diagnosed then there various other routes you can explore, environmental management, not allowing access to grass during certain times of the year, desensitisation jabs (once the actual allergen has been identified), homeopathic remedy (bespoke).

Vitamin C is also a natural antihistamine.

I would see your vet.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2011, 09:30 AM
It`s not the cloth the dog is allergic to - it`s the pollen (from your post)! So why not consult your vet about anti-histamines?
eriksen
New Member!
Male 

03-04-2011, 09:54 AM
I have been to a vet and she prescibed first Cortisone, but I didnīt want to give my dog steroides so I asked for antihistamines instead and have give my dog that, but stopped when she got better in the winter. She has run and played a lot on a golf field. Maybe they spray with strong chemicals there?

I donīt wash her with soap every day but only with a damp micro fiber cloth in order to remove dirt from her body and feet to prevent her to spread this dirt in my home.

Which kind of homeopathic remedy can I use for pollen allergy?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2011, 10:05 AM
as there are many types of pollen, grass and tree the pollen would first have to be identified before the appropriate remedy can be prescribed. From your description of how the symptoms subsided in the winter it looks as though this is the issue, alternatively run your dog in boots that way the feet will stay clean, you will not have to wash the feet and problem will disappear!

Voila!
eriksen
New Member!
Male 

03-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Maybe i should consider boots.
Which would be the best for my Doberman? It must be something waterproof as I live in a city where itīs raining the most of the year.

Can you give me a link to a web site where I can get these boots?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2011, 10:20 AM
http://www.dogbootsactive.com/