Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
teresad
New Member!
Female 

02-05-2009, 09:03 PM

Problem after worming

Hi I am news to this so bear with me. Has anyone come across this problem. I wormed my st bernard a week ago and two days later his stomach swole up. He is 4 he s in good form and eating drinking and going to toilet. Vet had a look at him and said swelling would go down that it could be due to worms. Has anyone come across this before with any breed of dog and did it take long for tummy to go back to normal. Cheers
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Hi Teresa welcome to Dogsey. Do you worm your dog regularly, what wormer do you use, has his tummy gone back to normal now?
teresad
New Member!
Female 

02-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Hi Benny is a St Bernard I bought 2 weeks ago. His previous owner said he was wormed 3 months ago and he was due his worm dose. The worm dose was in tablet form that I got from the vet. I had to give him 3 tablets. His tummy is still swollen after a week. It is not bloat because the vet said he woukd be dead from that within a few hours.
Meg
Supervisor

02-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Hi Teresa if Benny's tummy is still swollen after a week I would be concerned , if he was wormed with a good wormer from the vet (as opposed to over the counter medication) that should have dealt with most worms.

If the dog was mine I would return to the vets and ask for further investigation.
If you don't mind my asking, why did the previous owner dispose of Benny ..
teresad
New Member!
Female 

02-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Both he and his wife were out working all day and Benny was left on his own. I am a stay at home mum so I am here all day. He is a very affecionate dog who loves attention and going for walks. If he gets the back of the jeep open he will jump in and wait for you to bring him somewhere. He really is a big gentle giant and we love him.
Meg
Supervisor

02-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by teresad View Post
Both he and his wife were out working all day and Benny was left on his own. I am a stay at home mum so I am here all day. He is a very affecionate dog who loves attention and going for walks. If he gets the back of the jeep open he will jump in and wait for you to bring him somewhere. He really is a big gentle giant and we love him.
....I hope you can sort out what is wrong with Benny, he sounds a lovely boy...