Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2008, 08:39 AM

The dog that bit my boyfriend and my mum's dog

Some of you might remember my post from last week about my neighbour's dog. She has a history of aggression and has bitten a few of our neighbours but no one seems willing to do anything about it.
A few months back, she almost aputated Sam's toe when we thought he was safe in our yard (she could get her nose under our gate). Last week, she bit my boyfriend, although luckily she only really got a mouthful of denim.

The neighbours came over to say that she was being PTS last Friday and that they "hoped we were happy" and could "have a party". It was awful, and I felt like they were blaming us for the dog being put down, when they clearly don't have the experience to rehabilitate her (or the common sense to realise, after she had bitten other people and dogs, that she should be muzzled in the alley as well as on walks). I felt really bad about the whole thing and have spent the whole weekend stewing over it.

Guess what I saw on my way to work this morning
A very much alive dog, out on her morning walk, barking and snarling at people, other dogs and inanimate objects. I am relieved for the dog, as in the right hands she could possibly live a happy life, but I was furious that the neighbours made me feel like that when they didn't even have her put down. I'm also scared for Amber's sake and our own. At what point do people say "enough is enough"? When someone is badly mauled? When she kills another dog? When it's a child?

Given that my partner wasn't injured, just shaken, I feel petty reporting the dog to the Police. I did call the Council, but since the dog has been known to go for people, it has to be a Police matter. My boyfriend spoke to the neighbour on the other side, who was bitten, but because she is friends with the dog's owners, she refused to say anything.

Now I don't know what to do. Part of me wants to report it because I know I will feel guilty if she does injure someone else. But because there is so much bad feeling between us and them now (which is a shame because we used to get on quite well) I don't feel that we can go and ask them what their long term plan is. They may be intending to rehome her somewhere more suitable (I feel that she needs somewhere quite rural that she has room to be exercised without coming across strangers, not a terraced town house), or they may be seeking help from an animal behaviourist. We can but hope that the events of last week has given them a wake-up call to actually seek some help rather than to carry on as things have been. It isn't pleasant to have a dog barking and carrying on behind your garden gate when you have a young pup in the house. I find her quite intimidating and although she is often muzzled for walks, I have in the past asked my boyfriend to cross the road when we've seen them out walking because I felt vulnerable in the wheelchair.

Should I trust that they won't take the risk again and take precautions whenever the dog is around to safeguard me and mine, or should I be having a chat with the Police?
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2008, 08:45 AM
oooh tricky....

have you tried talking to the neighbours, but sort of offering help and support...they may then not think of you as the big bad neighbour...

maybe print off some behaviourists details or rehoming centres and explain that they may be able to help...

they may take it better.

I understand what you mean though, as if it came out the dog attacked someone else you would feel terrible...

Maybe say to them that unless they seek assistance with the dog you will report them...

You cant get fairer than that! they would be lucky, you could have already reported the dog but you havent!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2008, 09:25 AM
I remember your last post. I am relieved for the dogs sake but can totally understand you being concerened for both your safety and Amber's.

As Alex says, you could try talking to them. Maybe start with saying that you are pleased she has not been pts and wondered if she would like some contact details for trainers and behaviourists. It may be worth a try but, from what you have said, they may not take it very well.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Which would you feel more guily about:
Reporting the incident and the dog possibly being put down (they may just be told to keep their dog muzzled and onlead to begin with).
Or another person/child/dog being badly attacked by this dog and the dog gets put down.

Personally I'd be reporting it.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2008, 10:32 AM
very tricky....

but as the boyfriend was the one who got bitten - what does he want to do?
if he reports it, I would think it would carry more weight (sadly) than someone who feels intimidated.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2008, 10:56 AM
I would speak to the council and the police, the community dog warden should be able to liase with them regarding wearing a muzzle ect, another good source would be the rspca, they came out to advice nieghbors of ours in the past, hope that helps a little, there is nothing worse than starting and finishing what is supposed to be a relaxing experience ( dog walking ) full of defensive stress, it can't be good for your dog either, I would speak to some one, I wouldn't just let it go !
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Thanks, everyone.
I don't feel that I have enough experience in "difficult" dogs to offer advice, and I do feel for them in a way. It must be a very difficult situation to try to deal with every day.

My boyfriend doesn't want to cause a scene with them, but has made it clear that if the dog goes for him, me or our dog he will be taking her to the vet himself. He has little patience where his family's safety is concerned, and rightly so. He has been to see the other neighbour that was bitten, to see if she knows what the on-going situation is to be. If they are not already seeking help or rehoming her somewhere more suitable, then I will give the police a call. Realistically, things can't carry on like this and they can't pretend that nothing has happened. I think they should just be damn grateful that I didn't present them with the vet bill for sewing Sam's toe back on
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2008, 11:09 AM
If you don't feel that you can talk to them how about pushing a note through the door explaining the concerns you have.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Sez & Amber View Post
I do feel for them in a way. It must be a very difficult situation to try to deal with every day.
It is! As you said in your first post in this thread, a more rural location would probably be a lot better for the dog. As I said in the other thread, basic common sense is needed and if they are going to continue to allow a known-to-be-aggressive dog out, off lead and un-muzzled in your alley then I would be very concerned.

Good luck with whatever you decide.x
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2008, 01:26 PM
My OH told me the outcome of his talk with the other neighbour. Apparently the dogs owners had told her that they had spoken to the police but were told that they don't have to have her put to sleep as she is just "boisterous" and "puppy-like". They apparently weren't even advised to muzzle her!
They are ignoring us at the moment (we were deliberately blanked when I went home at lunch time), so I don't think my attempts to explain that I have concerns will go down very well