Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 09:33 PM

How do I persuade mum...?

I want a couple of fancy rats...

She doesn't want rodents in the house... (despite having a hamster as a child) her arguments consist of:

1. rats stink

2. She has to ask relatives to feed the cats if we go away and it's not fair to expect them to feed rats too.

3. I have two dogs and two cats - why can't I be happy with that?

4. I'm always taking new things on and I think she worries about me coping.

My counter arguments are:

1. Rats don't stink, the ones my cousins had were never cleaned out

2. I have a friend who owns a pet shop and does small animal boarding. He'd take care of them for me.

3. There's certain things you can get from rats that you can't from dogs/cats. Plus, if she's experienced my responsible pet ownership with the 4 I have (the cats are supposed to be mum's but I feed, groom, flea/worm them and go to the vets if needed), why can't she take my word for it on the rats?

4. I am studying training and ratties are great to train! It would teach me loads.

The only thing I can see against it is space. Whether I'd have room for them and as we're redecorating and I'm fitting my bedroom out with new furniture, I would wait to see how much space I had afterwards before I decided to get them.

So what do you think? If I was your daughter would you let me?
I'm really keen to have a couple because I have been told they're better in groups. I don't want more than two because I want to spend time with each of them but I'd really like to clicker train them!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 10:09 PM
If you were my daughter you'd be the one complaining about too many animals and how much time I spent with them and not you lol!
Becky
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 10:13 PM
lol... brilliant !

If you are thinking of a couple, you will be best off with 2 girlies and watch them or a real couple, although you will have to separate them if you dont want babies two boys can live together, but often fight and more often one will bully the other, often to death, which isnt nice

Great idea tho, I'd let you have some, they are very intelligent and you have more chance of them doing a mini agility course too
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Ask Zounds!

I'm after getting some rats later in the year too. Good luck!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
If you were my daughter you'd be the one complaining about too many animals and how much time I spent with them and not you lol!
Becky
Please would you adopt me?
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Please would you adopt me?
Hahahaha! Yeah, me too Becky!

Thanks malady - I was after getting girlies, I have a lot to read up about before I get any as pets but I wouldn't want a pair as I'm just not experienced enough to breed any kittens.

We've had a client at the vets where I work who keeps bringing male ratties in for castration because they're fighting - those ops are... interesting!

I'm afraid I'm a bit wussy and I don't like the idea of boys because of their balls...
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Hate to contradict you malady - as we usually agree on most things however most of what you say isn't the case at all. Boys live very amicably together please feel free to visit my website and e-mail me if you'd like advice. I've been keeping rats since 1999 and breeding since 2006. I have some pics up on here.

Really there are many reasons to have rats as pets - but they can be very expensive, and do take a lot of space and attention if you've any questions just pm me!

xx
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 10:29 PM
and trust me, for little chaps they have big plums
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
So what do you think? If I was your daughter would you let me?
I'm really keen to have a couple because I have been told they're better in groups. I don't want more than two because I want to spend time with each of them but I'd really like to clicker train them!
Of course I'd let you, but then I can never say no to a pretty face

I think it'd be a good idea, and I am sure many of us on here would love to see vids and be kept updated with their training. Tell your mum that rats are very sociable animals, that take very little care. And that, if you go away, they'd be borded with your friend at the pet store, and that the rest of the time they'd be kept safe and secure in your room, so that guests need never know they are there

Sorry I can't be much more help, good luck at convincing your mum
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 10:31 PM
rats must be kept in pars legally. but of course ONLY same sex pairs. breeding is best left to the experienced.

I would also strongly advise you go to a responsible breeder or a rescue Petshop rats come from the most horrendous backgrounds, which it would be wrong to encourage - and also often come pregnant, terrified, injured or ill.

xx
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »