Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-03-2006, 10:20 PM

Can dogs see pictures on the television

I am asking because Sydney has been transfixed by Crufts. ears pricked and really seems to be watchnig and enjoying and perhaps even having the odd favorite!! As the dogs don't ever seem to bark I know its not the noise that is attracting her, she really seems to be watching along with the rest of us.
I was under the impression that cats could not see TV, just fast, flickering images and wondered if it was the same for dogs or can they actually see a picture.
patterdale fan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-03-2006, 10:24 PM
I'm sure that dogs can see pictures on the TV. Mine both love Meerkat Manor, they sit transfixed and I'm sure they even recognise the music now cos they come running when it comes on.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Yes they can, have one that barks every time a dog appears, sometime even a sheep so perhaps they don't see that well but tonight they sure knew an Elkhound was on the screen
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Thanks both. We really enjoyed watching the programme "en famille" and it was so funny watching Sydney's face as the different dogs came on. Of course it was the hounds section and so she was particularly interested!! although had fallen asleep by the time the Rhodesian Ridgeback came on. Lazy dog!!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2006, 10:34 PM
Could be that hounds would be more aware than other breeds, interesting thought. One of my dogs knows when a dog in on the screen even if he is under the desk where it is impossible to see the screen and even if the dog on the screen is making no noise that I can hear he knows and shoots out from under the desk and set out to see it off, the dog is Solli Sod, of course, the others are far too sensible.
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-03-2006, 10:37 PM
My first dog (a terrier) could definitely see the TV. He always used to attack it if any animal programs were on. My border collie never responded to any pictures on the TV ever, except for one time when a flock of sheep were shown. It must have triggered something in her breed-memory.
Kilos'-'Serenity
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-03-2006, 10:41 PM
My ex bf's dog, A Westie called Will, would sit on your knee and watch telly but as soon as there was an animal whether it be dog, cat, horse or anything with fur, he'd be off your knee and trying to climb into the telly!!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2006, 11:56 PM
Takara is really enjoying crufts, and has barked at a few of the dogs...

She's a bit daft with 101 dalmatians because she doesn't really notice them but does run to the door when they start barking on the video.

Her favourite is Spartacus but she also liked that programme set in Africa, Wild At Heart, and a few others.