View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2006, 10:04 AM

is it ok to give scraps from our dinner ?

i always have with ella , and come xmas she has her own bowl of dinner with all the trimmimngs !
is it ok to give her these along with her normal food ? i just wanted to make sure i wasn over feeding or causing any problems with her health in the long run
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2006, 10:13 AM
many would say not and i don't really but ny dad had a dog who lived till 21 she only ever had what we ate
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2006, 10:17 AM
its just she loves pasta , rice , mash , all the kids left overs i just mix it all in with her meat and dry mixer
Tan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-06-2006, 10:39 AM
I'd be careful over things like gravy as that can be 1) a bit fatty and more importantly 2) salty
And I guess sugar is not good either
I read that 30-50% of dogs are overweight to a degree, so to much treacle pud and custard has got to be a no no!
The trick maybe is to feed less than the recommended amount of whatever you feed as normal if you're going to top it up with meat and two veg!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-06-2006, 10:40 AM
Ellas Mum I would say it is ok as long as the scraps don't contain sugar/salt/colourings /preservatives and are part of a varied diet.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Its all they fed their dogs years ago,commercial dog foods were very hard to come by,my Mum was telling me this the other day,their dog only ever had scraps from their dinner,but their food was a lot healthier then than it is now,didn't have preservatives etc., in those day.Mum is 86 by the way.
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2006, 12:20 PM
A bit of a tasty treat won't harm her, i'm sure you don't give her bucketfulls of the stuff We all like a bit of pleasure in life
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Ive always given my dogs food that I eat, just small amounts. The problems that mainly come up around Christmas or any of the major 'eating' holidays are people overdo it, often not giving the dogs regular food but giving a plate full of Christmas dinner, I dont give the skin from turkey or chicken (once its been cooked) and if I give them any gravy I water whats left of it down. If they get too much of what theyre not used to eating then theres a higher risk of pancreatitis.
Dogs dont do well with sudden diet change and Ive seen more cases of pancreatitis in dogs that normally dont get any table scraps at all.....and then they get into the trash or someone feeds them a hot dog, if the dog is used to a little variation as long as there arent any problems with allergies, the dog itself doesnt have a sensitive stomach (some dogs are very sensitive and just the taste of something not the usual food can set off a bad stomach) and your not giving anything thats toxic to the dog then scraps are fine.
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

29-06-2006, 02:46 PM
I go back to the age when dog's were fed mainly on biscuits (hound meal it was called) and scraps. Mine have always had the leftovers, particularly the vegetables, except spuds, meat, fish (no bones). All of them had the raw 'middles' out of the cabbages and cauliflowers and all have loved raw carrots. They also had raw fruit, one lab bitch used to pick her own strawberries and respberries The only plump dog I had was Harry, but he was on steriods for over five years which caused that. Even the spayed bitches and neutered dogs stayed slim. Kath
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2006, 04:20 PM
i did no that about gravey !!!! i will cut that down then ella loves her gravey
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >