Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lmccosley
New Member!
Female 

22-05-2017, 09:28 PM

Possible mange?

Hi everyone my catahoula has a rash on her neck that started a couple weeks ago. I borrowed my sister in laws bark collar and between that and her braided kong collar she started losing the hair around her neck. I also switched both of my dogs to high protein dog food trying to get a little more weight on my pitbull. i noticed she was starting to itch and shed. (Could be the the time of yr though) so i switched her back. I am worried this could be mange? I took both dogs to tractor supply to get a fecal done just to make sure it's not some kind of worm and when I mentioned it she said if its not spreading its probably not mange. Today I noticed she had alot of bumps, not puss or anything just bumps. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	1495488316164363437227.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	5572  
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2017, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Lmccosley View Post
Hi everyone my catahoula has a rash on her neck that started a couple weeks ago. I borrowed my sister in laws bark collar and between that and her braided kong collar she started losing the hair around her neck. I also switched both of my dogs to high protein dog food trying to get a little more weight on my pitbull. i noticed she was starting to itch and shed. (Could be the the time of yr though) so i switched her back. I am worried this could be mange? I took both dogs to tractor supply to get a fecal done just to make sure it's not some kind of worm and when I mentioned it she said if its not spreading its probably not mange. Today I noticed she had alot of bumps, not puss or anything just bumps. What do you guys think?
Could be sarcoptic mange - you need to get the dog to the vet immediately for skin scrapings to be taken and analysed. Mange is very serious and debilitating and needs to be treated by a vet ... the most diagnostic sign is intense scratching with hair loss, which you have, so definitely get to the vet asap.
Lmccosley
New Member!
Female 

22-05-2017, 11:17 PM
Ok Thanks! She does not scratch at her neck and its not spreading. Does it normally spread?
Dr. Dennis Thomas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-05-2017, 01:14 AM
Probably not mange. Mange almost always shows up in puppies unless you have an old dog with an immune suppressive disease. Sarcoptes is pretty rare and usually shows up on the face initially. Demodex mange doesn't cause itching unless there is infection. I suspect a pyoderma. Need to get to the vet as this will likely get worse unless treated.