Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DanaHill
New Member!
Female 

05-08-2016, 06:33 PM

Ways to encourage others to foster!

Hello,

I am starting a non-profit animal rescue and am trying to brainstorm ways to get more people involved in fostering. Financial incentives won't work for me, because I don't want our dogs ultimately going into the wrong hands. I'm thinking more along the lines of having sponsors provide free or discounted pet supplies to our fosters, or publicly thanking our biggest helpers through social media.

How have you been able to recruit more people to foster for your animal rescues?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2016, 08:10 PM
I'm not involved in fostering or rescue, but there's a guy here who runs a rescue purely with volunteer fosterers.

He started small raising donations as and when he could. He moved onto taking his van into the town centre and running a small raffle from the van with a donations bucket out front of it. He now also has a shop.

I believe fosterers are provided with all they need for the dog(s) in their care and they keep them until a suitable home comes along.

The van in town is highly successful in that people enquire about dogs for rehoming that are available and he also gets enquiries from people wanting to foster.

Don't know if that is any help
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-08-2016, 03:48 PM
As you are in California, check out Hope for Paws, they work with many animal charities.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2016, 03:57 PM
I shall probably get hung drawn and quartered now! but I have often wondered why people foster. Why not adopt and be done?
Sorry I don't understand. If you have room for a dog or another dog in your life, why not take one on permanently?

Good luck anyway
mirandashell
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-01-2017, 12:09 PM
I am fostering a Bull Lurcher who was rescued from a traveller camp.

The reason I don't adopt is that I am on a low income and can't afford to have a dog on my own. By fostering, I get support from the shelter, I get to give a dog a chance at a better home than the one he's come from and the shelter gets a free kennel space so can help another dog. I can also teach the dog how to be a house dog so that when he does find someone to adopt him, he's less likely to be handed back.

It works out for everyone.