View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 02:13 PM
The ban is strange, because except for Crufts & perhaps LKA, because of Christmas shopping, more visitors are likely at shows where they don't pay to go in than ones where they have to in my opinion
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Yep----they are just docking anyway.

It'll stop as the demand stops---if people ring up and don't buy because they are docked it'll have a knock on effect. It'll take a while I expect.

rune
from what i've seen its gone the otherway, just after the ban it was very difficult to get a docked springer, now every other litter is advertised as docked, anyway off topic so will but out
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 02:30 PM
I don't want it both ways---I wanted a total ban on docking.

You work and show your terriers with tails---whats the problem?

How many dogs (other than spaniels who are multi purpose) flush game and are docked? English pointers aren't docked so why are the German?

rune
The German Pointer is an HPR breed the English Pointer isnt!!

I used to have Jack Russells and Dobermanns, Id like to see fairness for all, not just a select few. Borders have a naturally short tail, or should have.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
The German Pointer is an HPR breed the English Pointer isnt!!

I used to have Jack Russells and Dobermanns, Id like to see fairness for all, not just a select few. Borders have a naturally short tail, or should have.
I'd like it fair as well---all tails kept on!

Jack russells you can't show anyway and dobermannns---no excuse.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
The ban is strange, because except for Crufts & perhaps LKA, because of Christmas shopping, more visitors are likely at shows where they don't pay to go in than ones where they have to in my opinion
As I understand it from the KC it is DEFRA who have made the rule on paying members of the public but at any show you can report a docked dog to DEFRA or the RSPCA.

rune
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
I am with you on the neutering issue, but the point for working folk is that tail docking is a preventative for injury, not to do with a failure to train them not to injure themselves? They have their dogs out doing a job, a lot of people don't view it like that, more a hobby, but working folk see it as more of a vocation. A lot of them put many hours, time and money into their dogs, they wouldn't dock them if they didn't think it was necessary. Otherwise, surely, they'd dock their other breeds, if it was simply for fashion?
but a lot of the folk that show would call what they do a vocation too rather than a hobby . They also put in many hours time and money. I don't really see the point you're trying to make here.

Fit for function is an emotive statement. Is a dog truly fit for function if the function that WE choose means that they have to be mutilated to perform it or suffer likely injury? Surely, a dog that does isn't suited to that particular function, is it????

On the 'Crufts' front, the sooner we get to a stage where dogs are bred and judged on health, temperament and well being above looks the better.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Can I please ask people to stick to the topic - this is not about docking alone, this is about legally docked dogs not beiong allowed to be shown at certain shows including Crufts. Please read the link in the OP!!!!
IF YOU WANT TO DISCUSS THE MORALS AND ETHICS OF DOCKING, PLEASE START A DIFFERENT THREAD AND LEAVE THIS ONE ALONE!

Thank you.
Ah, sorry. As I said, I couldn't open the link so assumed it was about docking full stop. Anyways, now I know what the intent of the thread is about, just to chuck in my two pennorth, yes, there is an anomoly. The anomoly could be sorted out very easily by banning all docked dogs from Crufts and any other show
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Ah, sorry. As I said, I couldn't open the link so assumed it was about docking full stop. Anyways, now I know what the intent of the thread is about, just to chuck in my two pennorth, yes, there is an anomoly. The anomoly could be sorted out very easily by banning all docked dogs from Crufts
They do except for working----they are moaning that they are allowed to show docked at some shows but NOT at crufts.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-11-2010, 03:26 PM
I don't want it both ways---I wanted a total ban on docking.

You work and show your terriers with tails---whats the problem?

How many dogs (other than spaniels who are multi purpose) flush game and are docked? English pointers aren't docked so why are the German?

rune
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Ah, sorry. As I said, I couldn't open the link so assumed it was about docking full stop. Anyways, now I know what the intent of the thread is about, just to chuck in my two pennorth, yes, there is an anomoly. The anomoly could be sorted out very easily by banning all docked dogs from Crufts and any other show :)
Then you are penalising those dogs that were docked before the ban
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 03:56 PM

rune
English pointers are just that...Pointers! They are bred for working on the grouse moors where there is very little to damage a tail on. They find game amongst the heather and then point, job done.

German pointers are HPR's who are expected to work any kind of cover and flush from the thickest of vegetation. Upon any game being shot they retrieve it, a pricked bird may have run on and hidden once again in thick cover. The speed of a HPR's tail when it's on a scent is just as fast as a spaniels.

Going back to the campaign, I was aware of this through the various clubs i'm involved in and being the owner of a docked dog (albeit just before the ban) I applaud it. Both Kimmax and Bareve are top breeders of GWP's and are very successful both in the field and in the ring and they have a dilemma on their hands with regards to docking. These are true dual purpose dogs and (arguably) the finest examples of this breed in the UK and yet, if docked to fulfill their working role, cannot be seen at Crufts.

I do wonder, if the ban continues, if it will create a divide in types like the labs and spaniels.
Page 11 of 29 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »