Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2005, 09:58 AM

Chicken Bones Advise Please

Have introduced raw meat with minced bone or bonemeal, which Loki loves and gave him a huge, bloody, meaty thing, :smt078 which he gnawed away on for hours. His teeth looked gorgeous afterwards.

Anyway, I haven't done chicken wings yet and am nervous. Why are chicken wings always mentioned? Can you give chicken legs etc.?
I read somewhere about not giving the dog small bones as they can get swallow them and get stuck - but when they crunch on it, don't the bones become smaller anyway?
:smt017

Cheers.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2005, 09:59 AM
Oooh I'm gonna follow this thread really carefully

Sorry no advice
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2005, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by bellaluna
Oooh I'm gonna follow this thread really carefully

Sorry no advice
That's okay Bellaluna, it's probably just me nitpicking but I want to get it right. Thanks for the sites you sent me, btw, excellent.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2005, 10:05 AM
Raw chicken wings bones are fine! The bones are so soft, they are crushed easily, the only time i have heard of a dog getting a bone stuck in its throat or scratching its throat is with cooked bones, which should never be fed.

Chicken legs, breasts, drumsticks, wings are all fine for your dog
hope that helped x
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2005, 10:10 AM
You're welcome. Actually I'm kinda using u I wanna see how you do with this raw feeding, before switching myself

Thanks Gem
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Thanks Gems! That's very helpful.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

Raw chicken bones are ok if your dog knows how to chew. You may need to hold one end of the wing while he gnaws away at the other in order to teach him to chew rather than to swallow whole. Alternatively you can smash the wings etc. up with a cleaver or mallet so that they are in pieces when they go down.

I do not feed bones. I prefer the whole carcass ground up by the butcher (over-cautious ). Chewing is a good exercise for the jaws though, helps keep the teeth clean, and will provide your dog with a great deal of satisfaction.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2005, 10:13 AM
I give my dogs chicken wings, but I must admit the first time Rosie swallowed one whole, then nearly choked! Her gums went white, eyes bulging I was frantic! Ended up getting my hand down the back of her throat to retrieve this WHOLE chicken wing!

But she has learnt her lesson and now eats them carefully! I have to admit I do sit and watch them eating, I won't leave them unattended and more often than not, I do bash them before offering them to the dogs.......cause I'm a coward......lol.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

I gave scrumpy his first chicken wing the other day, normally he gulps down things soo quickly, but he surprised me he took his time and was really careful eating it, he loves it i agree with SB hold the wing to begin with, get them used to it

My pleasure LS, TJ is on barf, and now im switching scrumps, its fab!!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Thanks SB. If I do go down the route of wings etc. I will try holding it. Ew, not sure I could smash up the bones - (squeamish icon). I like the idea of the butcher helping me out though ...
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »