Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

17-10-2011, 06:05 PM

Mens breeds - Womens breeds

You forget that, on a site like Dogsey, where everyone seems to love every dog no matter which breed - we're true dog lovers here!

But out there, in the mainstream, I have noticed that men and women seem to react differently to breeds or types of dogs... perhaps more importantly... when they are _not_ dog owners themselves.

Here's my experience, does it ring true for anyone else?

While out walking - the only women who have taken in interest in Rocky (ask about his lump etc) are fellow dog walkers. Hardly any non-dog-walking woman has stopped to ask about his 'lump' (actually I think not a single one has).

On the other hand fellow male dog walkers also like Rocky, but remarkably - I get a lot of men who don't seem to be a dog owner, stopping me and asking about Rocky's lump and being quite (shockingly perhaps) understanding and sympathetic.

I actually found this quite odd to begin with, as you'd think it's women who are more 'caring' - but it seems men have something built into them to either a) like dogs or b) like 'manly' looking ones

Either that, or a) I just scare women, b) Rocky scares them, or c) I smell

(or all three! )
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-10-2011, 06:14 PM
I get equal attention on Luke...but as for the breed in general the vast majority of GD lovers/owners, at least those obsessed with them lol, are female. It's often been said actually that the Great Dane is considered a woman's breed. A lot of that has to do with the innate sensitivity they have...they respond better to calm, gentle and female voices rather than a deep man's voice or posture. A LOT of danes do not like men at all....I know some male owners, don't get me wrong but like I say...the majority are female. You wouldn't think it being they are so huge, but that's how it goes.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 06:17 PM
We get each sex liking Woody, but their reaction to him is different. Women usually say ''oh, what a cute, handsome Springer, he's really lovely'' etc etc whereas men smile at him, ask us if we work him, tell him we should (how can you tell that when he's lying on a floor in a pub!!!) and then say to their partner ''there, now that's a PROPER dog''.
Kevin Colwill
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-10-2011, 06:18 PM
If you call Lurchers a breed then I'd say they are a man's breed! There seem to be fewer female Lurcher owners compaired to the larger pedigree breeds.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Mostly women ask about mine, although a gentleman did say he would like to take Chico home with him!

He would soon of bought him back!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 06:23 PM
I had a bloke walking a Jack Russell pup stop outside our flat and point at Rupert (who was standing on his back legs on the balcony looking out over the rail) and tell his puppy "that's a proper dog, not like you!"

I seem to get an equal number of men and women interested in Rupert out here, they think he's a schwarzschimmel Deutsch Drahthaar (not even going to try to explain how it's different to a GWP, I confused myself trying to figure it out ) and want to know about him then I have to try to explain in my not very good German that he's not a purebred anything. To me his head looks all wrong but I think his muzzle hides it and they're going off size, body shape and colour.

Back in the UK I got more blokes wanting to actually interact with him though. Women tended to ask more questions about him but not want to stroke him or anything while the blokes tended to ask very few questions and just want to pet him.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 06:26 PM
We don't tend to see that many people out and about. Female dog walkers ask about Max, I don't see as many male dog walkers round here. Civilians / non- dog walkers, it mainly seems to be the men who ask about him.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 06:30 PM
I get equal men and women asking about Jake... but, I would say that most of the men are fellow dog walkers, whereas most of the women do not have a dog with them (some do mention they have/had a dog, but some don't). Most of the men just ask what mix he is, while giving a clap. The woman usually ask the same, commenting on his fab temperament and give him a good proper fuss
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-10-2011, 06:31 PM
On the whole I seem to come across more women dog walkers than men.
Even so I can't say I have noticed a difference in interest.
The most interest seems to be if they share the breed or have had the breed in their lives be it from a man or a woman.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Everyone asks about ours, Tango in particular gets heaps of attention.. Cute fluffy ears and strange, cute gait due to her arthritis, plus a constantly wagging tail ensure she gets attention in abundance. She also has a thing for white transit vans so that can be interesting!!!!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >