Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
He had free choice. It is a tragedy that he died, but he chose to get on that horse. The horse did not choose to race. That is also 1 jockey...the average at The Grand National weekend is 3horses..how can you justify that??? If dogs died in agility in the same numbers, would you bet on the agility course that killed the most, because it was harder and longer?
But if that horse really does not want to run then it simply won't run. It could kick and buck and probably throw the jockey off it wanted to but they are trained to race and in my opinion if they didn't want to run they wouldn't.

I'm not betting on a horse or jockey or race based on the number of horses or jockey's it has killed. I bet on it because it's a tradition that my family has always had. I don't sit there and think "oh horses might die in this race so i'll put more money on it".

I know it's a long course but i genuinelly believe that the horses enjoy the race, the training and the care of them that leads up to it. Take dog racing for example - I have yet to meet a dog that doesn't love to run or chase things so is dog racing really cruel as well?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
But if that horse really does not want to run then it simply won't run. It could kick and buck and probably throw the jockey off it wanted to but they are trained to race and in my opinion if they didn't want to run they wouldn't.

I'm not betting on a horse or jockey or race based on the number of horses or jockey's it has killed. I bet on it because it's a tradition that my family has always had. I don't sit there and think "oh horses might die in this race so i'll put more money on it".

I know it's a long course but i genuinelly believe that the horses enjoy the race, the training and the care of them that leads up to it. Take dog racing for example - I have yet to meet a dog that doesn't love to run or chase things so is dog racing really cruel as well?
I think horses can be trained to want the adrenalin rush as many other creatures can be.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 10:09 PM

This isn't a thread about dog racing though is it? It's a thread about the Grand National.
My mum and dad both had a habit of smoking 60 a day with all the windows in the house shut. Doesn't make it right or something I want to pereptuate.
Horses die. Every year. Painful deaths. Did you watch the video?
I have helped train dogs to work...they do it even when they don't want to, because they want to please. They do it because they have been trained to do it...Horses are the same. Not saying for all of them...but a lot of animals do things, purely because we ask them to (or whip them..I note the RSPCA have issued yet another warning about that at The Grand National....if a horse is loving it that much, why would it need to be whipped???????)
http://www.horsemart.co.uk/news/rspc..._national/2405
http://www.rspca.org.uk/ImageLocator...33345&mode=prd
spot
Dogsey Veteran

08-04-2011, 10:11 PM
What about the jockey that died in the national? Are you saying that because he chose to get on that horse it's ok that he died? There's risk with any sport - granted horses don't get to say whether they wish to race or not but they are bred to race. I'm not saying it is right that they die but as with any sport it is a risk.

It's not sad that it is part of British heritage, whether you like it or not the Grand National is part of British history. And no-one said we should bring badger baiting or cock fighting back so why bring that up. I wonder how many pigeons die or get lost each year because people choose to race them - should we ban that as well??

[
Dont get the bit about it being part of British history so what? Because of that it should carry on? - history is just that HISTORY and this along with the rest of them should be just that history.

Sorry I just dont believe that 'because its tradition or history' we should continue to exploit animals.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
This isn't a thread about dog racing though is it? It's a thread about the Grand National.
My mum and dad both had a habit of smoking 60 a day with all the windows in the house shut. Doesn't make it right or something I want to pereptuate.
Horses die. Every year. Painful deaths. Did you watch the video?
I have helped train dogs to work...they do it even when they don't want to, because they want to please. They do it because they have been trained to do it...Horses are the same. Not saying for all of them...but a lot of animals do things, purely because we ask them to (or whip them..I note the RSPCA have issued yet another warning about that at The Grand National....if a horse is loving it that much, why would it need to be whipped???????)
http://www.horsemart.co.uk/news/rspc..._national/2405
Essentially it's not a thread about whether the grand national is cruel or not - it's a thread about which horse those who are interested are going to bet on.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Essentially it's not a thread about whether the grand national is cruel or not - it's a thread about which horse those who are interested are going to bet on.
And I said I am not going to bet because of....x,y,z.
Would it be better if the death of the horses wasn't mentioned?
I apologise if me mentioning horses dying has spoilt people's 'fun' in any way, shape or form.
I shall leave it at that. I hope all your horses make through the race alive. I have nothing more to say.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

08-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Take dog racing for example - I have yet to meet a dog that doesn't love to run or chase things so is dog racing really cruel as well?
That I think says it all for me.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Dont get the bit about it being part of British history so what? Because of that it should carry on? - history is just that HISTORY and this along with the rest of them should be just that history.

Sorry I just dont believe that 'because its tradition or history' we should continue to exploit animals.
So if cock-fighting and badger baiting was part of british history and that has been banned then why hasn't horse racing? Is it maybe because it has not been deemed as a cruel sport?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 10:17 PM
So if cock-fighting and badger baiting was part of british history and that has been banned then why hasn't horse racing? Is it maybe because it has not been deemed as a cruel sport?
Many would argue that it is because of money. I have not been discussing 'horse racing' however...just the national. I shall back out now and leave people to their little flutters...that add up to a LOT of money...why would anyone want to change a race that made a lot of money???
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 10:17 PM
I would imagine it generates far too much money to be banned to be fair! Tax is a big incentive for the government to keep something going!
Page 9 of 52 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »