View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spot
Dogsey Veteran

08-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
What are the statistics on deaths at the Grand NAtional, ie in both numbers and as a percentage of horses that run?
Is there a percentage level that you think would be acceptable?
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2011, 09:45 PM
You weren't "joining in" Ramble, you were being deliberately rude. I understand that it is a cause you believe in. Well, you seem to have the result you wanted. An argument about horse racing. Well done. Not sure what you have achieved though? I think most people here are quite intelligent, and can think for themselves, and are not going to be swayed by anything you have posted.

The rest if us will now be really quiet, and go and put our bets on, so as not to upset you.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Hiya mate xxx

Your right we are now having a conversation! Yep its about something someone posted on a forum for discussion!
'ello
If we are agreeing and having a conversation that says that though, does that mean that other people that want to disagree have to go and have their own conversation on another thread? Confusing this forum stuff.
Hope you and yours are well xxxx
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I don't think anyone was out to change your mind....just to express their own opinions as to why they will not be betting.

I hope your horse and the rest make it to the end.
Exactly. I said I wouldn't be betting and I have clearly outlined why, as have other people.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Sorry...this pretty much sums up my opinion on it.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011...national-shame
It says:
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
You weren't "joining in" Ramble, you were being deliberately rude. I understand that it is a cause you believe in. Well, you seem to have the result you wanted. An argument about horse racing. Well done. Not sure what you have achieved though? I think most people here are quite intelligent, and can think for themselves, and are not going to be swayed by anything you have posted.

The rest if us will now be really quiet, and go and put our bets on, so as not to upset you.
I was the second person to post after the OP...I have reposted it. I have given my opinion and backed it up. I was not being deliberately 'rude' I was ensuring that someone spoke up for the horses. They have no voice. They die, a terrible death, every single year...yet nothing will be done, because it all generates too much money because people have a 'little flutter'
So...tell me...do you think it is acceptable that horses die every year? How on earth can that be justified?

You go and put your bet on...that's totally your choice. Let's hope your horse survives as you never know which one the course will injure.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Not sure how you can compare people dying in that way to horses dying in a race,the people who die in crashes etc al voluntarily got into the vehicles. Race horses have no such choice.
What about the jockey that died in the national? Are you saying that because he chose to get on that horse it's ok that he died? There's risk with any sport - granted horses don't get to say whether they wish to race or not but they are bred to race. I'm not saying it is right that they die but as with any sport it is a risk.

Originally Posted by spot View Post
Tottaly agree with you

Oh its only one what does that matter yes people will say its sad but dont do anything about it and oh its all part of life - says it all for me - lets put animals in danger for our entertainment.

Why is it sad if its part of British sporting heritage? If its in our heritage that we put animals lives at risk for our entertainment quite frankly its not a heritage I want to continue. As Ramble said so was badger baiting, cock fighting etc should we be bringing those back?

It's not sad that it is part of British heritage, whether you like it or not the Grand National is part of British history. And no-one said we should bring badger baiting or cock fighting back so why bring that up. I wonder how many pigeons die or get lost each year because people choose to race them - should we ban that as well??

Good post Rambles

Remind me when you were made a mod?
[
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
What about the jockey that died in the national? Are you saying that because he chose to get on that horse it's ok that he died? There's risk with any sport - granted horses don't get to say whether they wish to race or not but they are bred to race. I'm not saying it is right that they die but as with any sport it is a risk.

[
He had free choice. It is a tragedy that he died, but he chose to get on that horse. The horse did not choose to race. That is also 1 jockey...the average at The Grand National weekend is 3horses..how can you justify that??? If dogs died in agility in the same numbers, would you bet on the agility course that killed the most, because it was harder and longer?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Esmed :It's not sad that it is part of British heritage, whether you like it or not the Grand National is part of British history. And no-one said we should bring badger baiting or cock fighting back so why bring that up. I wonder how many pigeons die or get lost each year because people choose to race them - should we ban that as well??
Many, many things are part of British history which we should be truly ashamed of...Spot named some as did I. Just because things are part of our history does NOT make them right...
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post

[

Of course it is not! But it was his choice and he took that knowing there was a risk. IMO it is fair enough for people to make an informed choice like that for themselves. I just feel sorry for the horses.

As to the second part of the argument.....Do you think it is justifiable in the national because it happens elsewhere?

And I agree - it is part of British heritage - just not a part I am proud of.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2011, 09:58 PM
Ramble, it was a post about betting. On a race tomorrow. Can you not get that. It was not a post about the pros and cons of horse racing, It was about having a flutter. On a race most of the country will be glueed to, We are not horse murderers. We are normal people, doing normal things. If it is wrong, then tell us why, please do. I will listen. I am objecting to you butting in to a conversation about bettiing. If you have iissues with horse racing, then share them. I will look I promise, and then decide. I will not be told what to to though! If you wish to really help horse, a less confrontation approach to people may help them even more
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
Ramble, it was a post about betting. On a race tomorrow. Can you not get that. It was not a post about the pros and cons of horse racing, It was about having a flutter. On a race most of the country will be glueed to, We are not horse murderers. We are normal people, doing normal things. If it is wrong, then tell us why, please do. I will listen. I am objecting to you butting in to a conversation about bettiing. If you have iissues with horse racing, then share them. I will look I promise, and then decide. I will not be told what to to though! If you wish to really help horse, a less confrontation approach to people may help them even more
It was a question about what horse people would be backing on a specific race. I answered and then I elaborated. I am just as entitled to say I will not be betting because of x,y,z (as I have done) as other people are to say they will be putting a bet on....
As I said...I didn't 'butt into' any conversation, given I was the second person to post on this thread. It is a thread about The Grand National.
As I say, you go place your bet...continue talking about which horse you will back. It is totally your choice. Just as it is my choice not to and to say why on a thread asking which horse I would back. This is a public forum so I was included in the opening question, therefore I can say 'actually I don't bet on it because of.....'
Page 8 of 52 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »