Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tiggs
New Member!
Female 

19-06-2010, 01:57 PM

RILEXINE side effects

My poor Tiggs is not well today. Last week I took her to the vets as she had some spots on her chin. The vet gave her some injections and Rilexine 600mg. Her spots have cleared up, however, last night I noticed her stools were very loose and a small amount of blood ( bright red) was in them. This morning it was like all blood and she was sick so I rushed her up to the vets. She has been given two more injections, one of which is an antibiotic, the other an anti-sickness drug. Tiggs has to go back on Monday morning so the vet can keep an eye on her. I am so worried, she is my first dog and I have not had her long at all. Is this a normal side effect of Rilexine?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by Tiggs View Post
My poor Tiggs is not well today. Last week I took her to the vets as she had some spots on her chin. The vet gave her some injections and Rilexine 600mg. Her spots have cleared up, however, last night I noticed her stools were very loose and a small amount of blood ( bright red) was in them. This morning it was like all blood and she was sick so I rushed her up to the vets. She has been given two more injections, one of which is an antibiotic, the other an anti-sickness drug. Tiggs has to go back on Monday morning so the vet can keep an eye on her. I am so worried, she is my first dog and I have not had her long at all. Is this a normal side effect of Rilexine?
hi

poor Tiggs

antibiotics can have an effect on the tumy and make it loose,(i always use a pro biotic as well)but this does not sound like it is linked to the abs imo.you can relax slightly in the fact it was 'bright red' blood as oposed to dark,which means it is not 'internal' bleeing,
i hope you have taken her off food for 24hours and your vet has advised you what to feed tiggs after.
hope Tigs is better soon
Tiggs
New Member!
Female 

19-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Thank you, I needed peace of mind. Yes she is not allowed any food for 24 hours and then can have a small amounts of bland food, boiled rice and chicken. It's such a worry as she can't tell me what is wrong, but I'm giving her plenty of TLC.
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi

poor Tiggs

antibiotics can have an effect on the tumy and make it loose,(i always use a pro biotic as well)but this does not sound like it is linked to the abs imo.you can relax slightly in the fact it was 'bright red' blood as oposed to dark,which means it is not 'internal' bleeing,
If dogs are like humans this is not quite right I am afraid.

Bright red bleeding in the stools means that the bleeding is 'fresh', it hasn't been sitting in the gut for any length of time and so is probably coming from the intestines (bowel) or rectum and not further up the digestive tract like the stomach or oesophagus.

It is still internal bleeding and needs to be monitored carefully.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by montysmum View Post
If dogs are like humans this is not quite right I am afraid.

Bright red bleeding in the stools means that the bleeding is 'fresh', it hasn't been sitting in the gut for any length of time and so is probably coming from the intestines (bowel) or rectum and not further up the digestive tract like the stomach or oesophagus.

It is still internal bleeding and needs to be monitored carefully.
it is serious as in piles not internal bleeding,and can happen with dogs when straining to go to the toilet with an upset tummy..... i didnt say it didnt need to be monited,but said she could relax slightly as in animals this isnt uncommon with a dicky belly

btw.. im not just guessing,i do it as a living with animals

eta..by internal bleeding im meaning 'a bleed out'
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm afraid I have to agree there with Montysmum. When my dog was seriously ill, she was not only vomiting blood the night before, but by morning, she had blood coming out of her rear end, bright red blood and when the vet saw that, he turned to me and said "this dog is seriously ill"! Blood is not good no matter what the colour, the difference in colour just means where it's coming from in the gut, i.e. higher up or lower down, but it's still bad news!

I'm glad you got your dog back to the vet so that he could take a look at her. I've had Rylexine prescribed on many occasions because I have a dog with skin probs, and although they used to give me cephorlexin, they now prescribe Ryelexine instead, but I've had no problems like you describe, so I wouldn't have thought it would be those, although any ab's can upset the gut in one way or another. Good luck with her.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I'm afraid I have to agree there with Montysmum. When my dog was seriously ill, she was not only vomiting blood the night before, but by morning, she had blood coming out of her rear end, bright red blood and when the vet saw that, he turned to me and said "this dog is seriously ill"! Blood is not good no matter what the colour, the difference in colour just means where it's coming from in the gut, i.e. higher up or lower down, but it's still bad news!

I'm glad you got your dog back to the vet so that he could take a look at her. I've had Rylexine prescribed on many occasions because I have a dog with skin probs, and although they used to give me cephorlexin, they now prescribe Ryelexine instead, but I've had no problems like you describe, so I wouldn't have thought it would be those, although any ab's can upset the gut in one way or another. Good luck with her.
yes h that is extremly worrying and defo a sign of a poor sick girl.
tiggs isnt vomiting blood is she?
no dog shoud be sent home after 2 shots if this is the case...i feel the vet didnt think it was that serious at this moment, and was thinking along the same lines as me,as it is not uncommon......and i only said she could relax 'slightly'...
oh i give up!!

hope tiggs is better soon.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2010, 06:31 PM
No, I wish I hadn't mentioned about the vomiting, coz I just wanted to get across that bright red blood coming out of a dog's rear end IS pretty serious, and a vet should always be consulted. I had it with mine on other occasions too without any sickness, and my vet was always concerned when there was blood, no matter what the colour, so nobody should even slightly relax, they should at least phone a vet and tell them, that's all I wanted to say!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
No, I wish I hadn't mentioned about the vomiting, coz I just wanted to get across that bright red blood coming out of a dog's rear end IS pretty serious, and a vet should always be consulted. I had it with mine on other occasions too without any sickness, and my vet was always concerned when there was blood, no matter what the colour, so nobody should even slightly relax, they should at least phone a vet and tell them, that's all I wanted to say!
i understand H,but the op has already seen the vet...and is going back,imo she was after reasurance
Tiggs
New Member!
Female 

19-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Thank you all so much, Tiggs seems to have cheered up a bit since this morning and the blood is just spots. I never thought I would be praying for a solid blood free poo!! She is still poorly but seems to be better than she was. I will keep a very close eye on her over the weekend and let you all know how she gets on. Many thanks, kind regards.
Jo and Tiggs.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >