Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Thats a hard one, to be honest, first because they are going to be behind guard there isn't much elsewhere they can go, Skye will be on the back seats on our way to Scotland Yes, but usually she is in the boot space, we only allow this is the journey is hours long and we don;t stop, Skye usually gets into the floor well too.

also I have a few nightmares about belts re dogs, years ago (and I know this is a one off) my ex hubby and I were travelling to hols, the boys were belted in the back, we were travelling along and came round a bend where there had been something happening and traffic tailback caused. We were just past the bend when I heard my Ex say OH SH*t and then a huge bang. We all ended in hospital with whiplash and bruising, but it wasn;t until afterwards, the boys said......Meg was clever apprantly just as the car flew round the bend Meg made a hastey retreat from the boot to the backseat well. just as well she did as the boot was slammed right into the backseat, and viewing the wreck later she would of been crushed between the car that hit us and the back seat.

Both my boys always say that she just jumped out of the way..........she was only 5 then, so she would of never of made 23 if she had of been belted up.

But I would never say anyone was wrong to belt or not to belt, I think we are very fortunate that ours a re brill in the car, they do lie down all the way and sleep, being so relaxed in the boot they would go far other than into the side of the seat.

Really not sure why the answer should be a hard one, the outcome is the same, if a person or animal is not restrained in transit.

Would you allow any of your foster children to sit on the back seat without seat belts one, even if they where extremely quiet travelers.

My problem is this, I cant understand how in every other way the dangers of traveling without seat belts is understood by us all.

No one would get in a car without putting your seat belt on, nor would we dream of allowing our children to do so !

All the evidence is there for the importance of wearing seatbelts.

Yet, the same principal is ignored (for what ever reason) by some where their dogs are concerned???

That's what I really cant get my head round!!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
If Jake has his head out of the window and you have to do an emergency stop, he will get whiplash and possibly even break his neck. Does that not bother you?
I dont see the danger as being any greater than just being in the car anyway. I weigh up the risks and base my decisions on that.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I dont see the danger as being any greater than just being in the car anyway. I weigh up the risks and base my decisions on that.
What about in a crash & he gets out & runs away? Lost or a cause of another crash. This is the MAIN reason why mine are restrained so in the case of a accident i know they will be safer.

The only thing that worries me is in the case of a fire they would be harder to get out. In that case id die trying to get them out if it came to it.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
that may be so, and the consequences of the action will be on your decision to allow jake to be free /head out the window in the car.

Mind, if you are caught allowing this by the police, they may take a different attitude to your actions.

Your decision, your choice, but sadly when accidents happen with cars, its not only you and yours that get injured , sometimes you (through your neglect) injure others, and I am sure (again) the police wont see it as you do!
Where did I say jake was 'free' in the car?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

07-07-2010, 03:15 PM
I assume you mean by "unrestrained" in the car.

the risks of jake being unrestrained in the car, with his head out the window are , damage to his eye, breaking the window through the force of Jakes body leaning on it, the window breaking and Jake falling out, Jake jumping through the window, in the event of a crash/emergency stop, Jake will turn into a missile, and go through 1) the front window, 2) hitting the person sitting in the front seat , killing both of them.

Not much risk there is there!! but as you say, in your experience, the risks are not worth taking into account!!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 03:49 PM
I think this thread does highlight the fact that everyone is always learning, and I have respect for those who listen to something and take it on board, and plan for change, so well done Esme, and this isn't meant to be judgemental, its just saying that I do have a respect for people who listen to points put to them and learn from them, as people like that are the ones who gain more info and in cases like being owners are able to judge different circumstances, and from information they have learnt become better owners from it.

Tbh Honey and Diesel are probally not restrained in the best way, but as it isn't my car I keep them as safe as I can do, and that is in the boot with a three point harness on them (the dog kind ) I then attatch a traffic lead to a point in the car, so that they have some movement, can sit, lay down or stand comfortable, most of the time Diesel stands, Honey being a nosy cow looks out of the window the whole time standing but I use a harness to minimise damage to their necks if anything happens.

Earlier though I was thinking about this thread, and about what happened to my great uncles Greyhound, I was wondering what would happen to a restrained dog (via harness, collar etc) if they tried to jump out of the window, as I really don't think anyone can gaurentee that their dog wont jump, whether after a small furry, another dog, cat person they know anything, a unrestrained dog would be able to jump out, maybe straight into another car like my great uncles Greyhound, but if a restrained dog has enough allowance to move around they will either be hanging outside of the car until it was able to stop, or it could even be dragged along the road, which wouldn't be good either, I also think that the space a dog can escape out of, many dogs I know can escape out of a gap that their head can fit in, if theres only the owner in the car and they are driving, and the dog see's something that takes it fancy it can be out and injured or dead before you can do anything about it.

Another thing is crashes, dogs that are restrained are easier to get, people know where they are, whatever happens the dog will be where you left it unless the restraint gets broken, meaning ICE you can tell whatever emergency services you can where the dog is, or fight yourself whatever is happening to the car to get to your dog, but if it was loose, espcailly in low visiablity you may loose your dog and not be able to save him/her if they are hiding in fear.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 03:53 PM
So do you restrain Jake or not? If so, how?

Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Oh no, never said that.

I just said ours are not belted. But then alot of people don;t, not suggesting Im right or anyone is wrong, just making a generalised note. Im sure everything about that is wrong, but thats just us, not perfect I know
Does the fact that one border collie would slam into you and Patrick with the force of nice, 12 stone men not worry you at all? This will instantly kill you both and the dog/s if you brake at 60mph?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

07-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Where did I say jake was 'free' in the car?
If your dog can stick his head out of the window of a car, that he is not restained correctly.

Thats one issue, the other is as I damage that allowing him to stick his head out of the window will do.
Helipops
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-07-2010, 04:06 PM
Well Ill admit that I do it if I am driving locally and am careful. My dog loves it and yes there are dangers to it but the chances are slim. Im not about to follow the crowd who wont throw a stick for the dog in case it gets a splinter. Its a dog - let them have a bit of fun.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Helipops View Post
Well Ill admit that I do it if I am driving locally and am careful. My dog loves it and yes there are dangers to it but the chances are slim. Im not about to follow the crowd who wont throw a stick for the dog in case it gets a splinter. Its a dog - let them have a bit of fun.
I like to think I'm a careful driver too. But I can't speak for other people and the last thing I want is my dog to go hurtling through my windscreen because someone fell asleep at the wheel on a motorway and ran into me (this happens alot).
Page 18 of 49 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 > Last »