Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
From what I read a while back early neutering in mastiffs could cause them to be tall with chests that didn't broaden which resulted in them having breathing difficulties. Seems it stunts the "filling out" part of growth, not the height part.
mmmm i read something like this before , is it true?? i'm not convinced
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 10:44 PM
It's generally always in the dogs best interests to wait until full maturity before being neutered to allow the hormones to settle and the body to develop fully (early neutering can cause the growth plates to continue growing which is possibly related to arthritis in later life). In small/toy dogs I would say wait until a year old, in larger breeds an absolute minimum of 18 months.

I'm very much in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it camp" with male dogs and I'd just like to reiterate that you do plenty of research on the negative aspects of neutering before getting it done, as your vet may well just give you the positives and once them nads are gone, they're gone!

Increased nervous behaviour and an increase in prostate cancer are just 2 of the negative effects that are possible.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Any time after 18 months should be fine.
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-11-2011, 11:23 PM
[QUOTE=JoedeeUK;2390225]Dogs do not get"urges"the same as humans do, males do not suddenly decide to go off in search of a mate & neither do bitches(although I have always had my bitches spayed either after any litter they may have or between two seasons when they are mature & have a known cycle if they are not going to be bred from)

thats not compleatly true,

my dogs are always on the look out for bitches in heat and will try to get away every now and again to do a stop and sniff of all the local bitches,

ive also known bitches that try to get out when in season
all animals get the urge to breed,
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by marley123 View Post

thats not compleatly true,

my dogs are always on the look out for bitches in heat and will try to get away every now and again to do a stop and sniff of all the local bitches,

ive also known bitches that try to get out when in season
all animals get the urge to breed,

Well my 3 current entire dogs live with my 2 current bitches(one spayed & one entire)My dogs do not look for bitches in season & are only interested in my entire bitch when she is in the middle week of her season.

In the past I have had 3 active stud dogs living with 4 entire unused males & 2 entire & 2 spayed females. The stud dogs never tried to escape/look for/run after etc bitches in season & never even looked at the bitches unless they were ready to be mated & even then would leave them alone when told to(& obviously were never left unsupervised with the bitches when they were in season-no negligent litter here ever). The unused entire dogs never showed any real interest in any bitch(agian never left alone with an in season bitch)

I've even had a dog that I wanted to use at stud who never showed any interest in a bitch even when she was throwing herself at him

Perhaps your dogs need to be better"educated"around bitches-maybe they would like to me my Jessie(spayed)who will pin any dog who even gets within a foot of her rear to the ground & means it !(she's not allowed to do so unless the other dog will not leave her alone !), she is an excellent putter in place type of girl
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-11-2011, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post

Perhaps your dogs need to be better"educated"around bitches-maybe they would like to me my Jessie(spayed)who will pin any dog who even gets within a foot of her rear to the ground & means it !(she's not allowed to do so unless the other dog will not leave her alone !), she is an excellent putter in place type of girl
yeah they do need to be trained how to act around in season bitches but to do that i need to find someone that has a bitch in season that would let me do it,
they have never actuly managed to get a dog pregnant thank god, we did nearly have some jack Russell x German shepherds a couple months ago though.
they wouldn't she any interest in your Jessie other than treating her like a normal dog
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by marley123 View Post
yeah they do need to be trained how to act around in season bitches but to do that i need to find someone that has a bitch in season that would let me do it,
interested to know how you would go about it if you found a willing participant?
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by rough View Post
interested to know how you would go about it if you found a willing participant?
just include it in a leave it command i guess, somthing like that,
or teach them they arnt allowed anything to do with bitches in season
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Years ago my parents took on a retired stud dog who was entire. One thing worried me-that he would always be on the lookout for bitches. This was far from the truth-he was not interested in other dogs at all!

They did have him neutered but only because he needed to have an operation to get his teeth cleaned and the vet advised to do this at the same time.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2011, 03:11 PM
I had Jake castrated at 18 months old. I have had all my male dogs castrated over the years and never had any particular problems with them humping etc. I personally believe it's the right thing to do, but that's just my opinion.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >