Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2007, 08:06 PM

advice needed

hi all dk here as you all probably know i have the pleasure of being owned by three crazy adorable boxers .
my problem is skye my middle boxer she has started to jump and pound at my lounge window when ppl walk by she does this most of the time or constanly barks ,
thi has stemed from the kids in the street where i live thinking its funny to stand outside and make faces an taunting noises at the dogs ., after several conversations with the now for warned parents this has gradually stoped (thank godness) but sadly the damage appears to be done as skye is still barking and pounding at the window and my worst fear ias her breaking the glass and bein seriously hurt or even killed ,.
please help (things ive tried ) closing curtains , buying different blinds , a water pistol , a rattle bottle , distracting her by makig load noises , and chastising here .) she even does it when were in the room and ive also tried putting her from the room to no avail . again any help or advice from anyone who has experienced this or similar would be gratefully welcomed and appreciated . thanks dk
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Does it tend to happen at certain times of day, only, or at any time? I ask as it may be easier to work on if it is at, say, school finishing time.

Is it possible by the way to not have her in the room where she can see the children going past? just wondering what the layout of the house is...

Wys
x
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2007, 08:57 PM
As you say it sounds as if she has learned this behaviour as a response to the 'stimulus' of the kids. Sounds as if you've stopped the kids...good. Now can you avoid this by putting her away from the window? Then rewarding her for good behaviour, when she doesn't bark or whatever at the window, and if at all possible ignore (or use a distraction) the 'bad' behaviour? You may have to enlist help of someone she knows to help de-sensitise her by perhaps just walking past the window at 1st and when she doesn't react reward her (could even use a clicker and a treat every time there's no reaction) and just keep slowly building it up, until she doesn't react at all.

Hope that helps a little as I'm sure someone will be along with some really good advice soon.

Keep us posted how you go on. XX
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Sorry Wys, must have cross posted!
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2007, 09:30 AM
she just barks and jumps now at no matter who goes by and or lounge is situated to the front so not really an option to keep her out of the room , but ill try all advice kindly given its gratefully recieved and will surely keep u all updated many many thanks