Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bengee
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-01-2011, 12:03 PM

Dog flaps

2am, 4am, 5.30am most nights or should say mornings Harley wakes us up to go out (toilet) now if he go's or not I am to blurry eyed to notice.
So was thinking about a dog flap, we have a cat flap already so would not be to hard to make the hole larger.
What I need to know is about security, we have been victims of buglers three times in the past and how good are they for a over weight Collie 29 KG's.
Has anyone tried one and how good are they.
If not I'll just have to keep taking turns at getting up.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 12:18 PM
From a personal point of view I wouldn't have one. My dogs are probably about the same size as yours or slightly smaller and the home they were in before we had them used a dog-flap for them.

It would be too big for me to not think of it as a burgler-flap in my opinion!

Also would not want my dogs out on their own when I am at work mornings in case they got wuffy or someone stole them. I guess you can shut the flap to stop them exiting the house if you're not there though?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Not sure why your dog needs to empty himself so often?

You need to speak to your insurers re your dog flap, as if it is large enough for a small human to get inside this may invalidate your policy.

Also be aware that a dog which can decide when it can go in and out may not necessarily be a good thing!

What if he goes out and starts barking at things etc?

And why is your dog overweight?
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Con't know if you can get them for dogs but my friend had a cat flap which only her cat vould open from outside via something on his collar. Meant he had freedom to roam in & out without half the neighbourhood cats coming in too.
Crichton
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-01-2011, 01:07 PM
If it was one of my dogs, I would be concerned that they felt the need to go out so often. If they are doing something each time then I would get them checked by the Vet.

My spaniel went through a stage where she would 'ask' out usually about 3.30 in the morning and we worked out it was so she could go hunting Over the course of about a week we just sent her back to bed so she got up later and later and now she sleeps until my OH gets up at 5.
Bengee
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-01-2011, 02:21 PM
My dog is over weight because that was how she was put in to the rescue centre, we are working on a diet for him.
Last Monday we also went to the vet for a general check-up and he got a clean bill of health except for our bill.
I think the waking up in the mornings is triggered of by sounds out side as we live next to a car park and people walk by or vans start up, us humans are used to small sounds but must be all new to a dog in a strange environment.
As for the dog flap, you all have pointed out the pitfalls of one so will not look any more.
After the 5.30 outing he sleeps till 8am so all is not to bad and we are both retired so do not have to go to work.