Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
FBRaRrNHN
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-01-2011, 12:42 AM

Clipping Nails?

Hey all,My nutz is very scared to get his claws cut.He has been improving but last night he jerked his leg and I cut it to short. So he bled a good bit I finally got it stop he was scared for a little bit but was ok.But now I am scared of what is going to happen next time because he is still scared and now this happened.I don't know what to do except cut one or two claws and prasie him and give him a treat which is what I did yesterday.then He jerked on one and I cut it to short.
Any I dea on how to get him better at this.I have done it sense he was about 3months old but there where abut threemonths that I didn't when he was about 6months old because he would go outside and dig and that would help his claws.But he don't dig anymore.So I have to cut his claws.

P.S. he is about 50pounds so it is harder then my little chihuahua that is scared so any ideas would be nice.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Hi,

What sort of area do you live in? If you can walk your dogs on concrete that wil help keep their claws short. I've NEVER cut my dogs claws. Zane has had to have his dew claws trimmed though but only a little as they're black and I can't see how far down to do it. But the main claws on their feet are kept short by giving them long walks on the street. Also, they spend a fair amount of time playing on my rear patio which is slabbed.

Laura xx
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 12:11 PM
My dogs do huge amounts of exercise on pavements etc but it STILL does not stop me having to clip their claws weekly!

But then I have a fetish for short nails.

If you google Clicker Solutions, and look on there it gives you some tips on how to get dogs comfortable with clipping claws. I use the matchstick method from 7 weeks and they stick their paws out for me when it is clipping day.

They do this with elephants and rhinos in the zoo too!
FBRaRrNHN
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-01-2011, 04:23 PM
ok cool he only has grass to run around on.I will have to look on google.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Try filing them or using a dremel.