Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 08:46 PM

What do you think of this?

There is a garden we walk past and one of the dogs isnt just barking but really going at mine. Iv even seen kids say 'bad dog' as they have gone past and its had a go at them right up at the top of the fence... The thing is they dont come out to distract the dog or anything like that. One day they were almost giggly about the fact he was doing this, as they were outside at the time - until my boy reacted back, told him that second and he stopped (think the thought of a big dobe might actually get him for that..soon changed the situation) However that dog is still out in the garden behind a fence it can get its head over on the hind legs and does this everytime, sometimes with people watching from inside. Its getting worse tbh and tonight my dog didnt want to leave it, I literally had to drag him by the lead to the road and walk behind parked cars to get by. I honestly think this is because it isnt all noise that he has reacted.....this dog has also been seen to jump the fence right out at a dog before (luckily a small one the owner lifted and so on...)

This dog is a young male and from the typical, say 6 months age it's been clear this has been coming.

I just wondered what others thought about this?
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Sounds rather like an accident waiting to happen...

I feel sorry for the dog and also very sorry for any person or dog that happens to be passing when the dog gets free one day.

If you think the dog is actually being neglected, I guess you could try reporting the situation, I know the RSPCA aren't always that helpful, but it's a thought...?
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 09:48 PM
From the description you've given, it sounds a lot like my Molly, except she's safely secured behind a very high fence so not able to do any harm.

Is there a chance that this dog isn't 'vicious' but is simply very nervy or 'guarding'? Out on a walk, my Molly wouldn't hurt a fly. However, in the garden and in the house she is very very nervous and constantly 'guarding' against people/other dogs. Often if Molly is out wuffing and barking, I am in the house or pottering around the garden so to passers by, it probably looks like I have a very aggressive dog and that I don't give a sod about it - of course this isn't the case as we're getting help from a behaviourist for the problems but the training takes a lot of time to take effect and I can't expect Molly to stay in the house all the time except for when we go out for walks.

I agree that it sounds like an accident waiting to happen if the dog is able to jump the fence but (and it is a big but) it is possible that you're judging the situation based on what you see when there are other things going on behind the scenes
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 10:01 PM
I agree that it sounds like an accident waiting to happen if the dog is able to jump the fence but (and it is a big but) it is possible that you're judging the situation based on what you see when there are other things going on behind the scenes
Well, if they are training it, how do they do it from inside while the dog is out? I'd say its a lot more fierce than your average guarding, go away stuff IMHO The problem is, it wont matter how much they do 'behind the scenes' if the scene is out front! Plus I'd say its escalating plus the fact that if it hurts someones dog...not only that but how can I put it...picking on the wrong dog and my dog will guard if he thinks its at me. But they dont go out with it so it only gets worse - just thought I would see what others thought, I feel abit sorry for it as it was a sociable puppy

Its ok saying behind the scenes and all that but they are putting walkers like myself out onto a road to avoid conflict.....I had mine ignoring it for a while but now the other one is teeth out head reaching over the fence...
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Well, if they are training it, how do they do it from inside while the dog is out? I'd say its a lot more fierce than your average guarding, go away stuff IMHO The problem is, it wont matter how much they do 'behind the scenes' if the scene is out front! Plus I'd say its escalating plus the fact that if it hurts someones dog...not only that but how can I put it...picking on the wrong dog and my dog will guard if he thinks its at me. But they dont go out with it so it only gets worse - just thought I would see what others thought, I feel abit sorry for it as it was a sociable puppy

Its ok saying behind the scenes and all that but they are putting walkers like myself out onto a road to avoid conflict.....I had mine ignoring it for a while but now the other one is teeth out head reaching over the fence...
What I meant by my original post was that just because when you go past the dog is outside and the owners are inside doesn't mean that they're not doing training when you're not around.

My dog is often outside when I'm inside (especially in summer when the back door is just left open) because we can only get in around half an hour's worth of training in a whole day and for the rest of the day (except for walks) she'd have to be stuck in the house. I'm sure my neighbours think I'm completely irresponsible because they no doubt never see me training but the fact is that training out this sort of behaviour is really difficult and can take years so keeping a dog inside at all times except for when you train and when you're walking just isn't always an option.

Obviously this situation is different to mine but from what you said in your first post, it sounded very similar so I thought I'd offer a POV from the perspective of someone with a dog who behaves in this way.

If the dog isn't being taken out and is allowed to endanger the other people that is a serious issue and one that needs to be addressed.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Do you know who the owners are? Maybe speak with them face to face? if that isn't an option, maybe a note throught he door? If you don't want them to know it's you who's writen it, then you could always note the house number & road name and psot a letter to them regarding their dogs behaviour.

Maybe worth trying to make it sound as though yo're doing them a favour; otherwise they may just think someone is sticking their nose in.

You never know, they may actually start taking the dog for long walks, training classes and things may clam down.

Sometimes all it takes is a suggestion from someone to make things right.

On the other hand, if they're not already doing these things and don't seem to be discouraging the dog from behaving in this way, I agree that a call to the RSPCA may be in order. They may be completely useless with most things but they may be able to ffer you some advice.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 09:42 AM
My friend had this problem with 2 small dogs that used to try and have a go snapping and snarling through their gate when she walked her GSD x Wolfhound past.

She did say to the lady who owned the house & dogs that it wasn't very nice her dogs behaving like that as it initmidated her dog (yes I know he's tons bigger!) and she replied that they were only defending their territory to which my friend replied that the pavement was not their territory!
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
There is a garden we walk past and one of the dogs isnt just barking but really going at mine. Iv even seen kids say 'bad dog' as they have gone past and its had a go at them right up at the top of the fence... The thing is they dont come out to distract the dog or anything like that. One day they were almost giggly about the fact he was doing this, as they were outside at the time - until my boy reacted back, told him that second and he stopped (think the thought of a big dobe might actually get him for that..soon changed the situation) However that dog is still out in the garden behind a fence it can get its head over on the hind legs and does this everytime, sometimes with people watching from inside. Its getting worse tbh and tonight my dog didnt want to leave it, I literally had to drag him by the lead to the road and walk behind parked cars to get by. I honestly think this is because it isnt all noise that he has reacted.....this dog has also been seen to jump the fence right out at a dog before (luckily a small one the owner lifted and so on...)

This dog is a young male and from the typical, say 6 months age it's been clear this has been coming.

I just wondered what others thought about this?
We have the exact same problem here! The house opposite has 2 dogs that are outside 24/7 walked maybe once a week at most. However when these 2 see another dog go past they get soooo worked up they then turn on each other! I have reported them to the council and the RSPCA as it is just awful to see/hear as it happens several times a day. These dogs are also people aggressive and all us residents are scared to walk past as the bigger dog jumps at the gate and we worry that one day he will get out.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Used to have one near my old house who'd lunge violently at the fence if anyone walked past near it - and the fence was becoming ominously wobbly over the years. I moved since then so I don't know how it ended up but I suspect one day that fence will give way and there'll be a car coming or something similar (it's actually a few houses down from the fire station so it could well be a fire engine out on a call to be honest).
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post
What I meant by my original post was that just because when you go past the dog is outside and the owners are inside doesn't mean that they're not doing training when you're not around.

My dog is often outside when I'm inside (especially in summer when the back door is just left open) because we can only get in around half an hour's worth of training in a whole day and for the rest of the day (except for walks) she'd have to be stuck in the house. I'm sure my neighbours think I'm completely irresponsible because they no doubt never see me training but the fact is that training out this sort of behaviour is really difficult and can take years so keeping a dog inside at all times except for when you train and when you're walking just isn't always an option.

Obviously this situation is different to mine but from what you said in your first post, it sounded very similar so I thought I'd offer a POV from the perspective of someone with a dog who behaves in this way.

If the dog isn't being taken out and is allowed to endanger the other people that is a serious issue and one that needs to be addressed.
tbh, I get what you are saying but if a dog is that bad then IMO it should not be out without someone there. That isnt difficult, inconvenient maybe but thats all (Ive done it) Everytime a dog gets to repeat something, it is learning that it can!! Thay also learn by association, so eventually can learn that when you are there they act like X, when your not they will act as always. Therefore if they are training it its a 24/7, you just cant afford to 'log out' for 10 mins because its nice to have the door open!! (no offence btw, just how it works...and its thier dog that will, or someone elses that will pay the price) at this rate IMHO
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >