Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Yes and I don't have a life...

I agree with Tassle (again) I don't think police dogs and assistance dogs can be brought into the debate as they are doing things that are alien to them and so need time to be a 'dog' they are also trained in safe and secure areas so there is no chance of other dogs etc getting in, so all they have to worry about is playing as they work exceptionally hard.

Tango is happy with her onlead walks.
Now you really have lost me. All I asked was for you to define what a stimulating walk was.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Some working dogs get lots of Running/working but no Free Time running or walking . working & Kennel i think that is worse than a mainley on lead dog that had the liberty of a odd off lead blast every few weeks or so & was then allowed on lead ambles, able to sniff about etc. Ours in general only have one or two proper Long (1hr Plus) Running walks per week.

I get ALOT of pleasure watching them charge about, But actually enjoy the 2nd half of the walk more when they have blown the cobwebs away & are milling around us interacting etc
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
Freedom.

You can't get away from that an on lead dog is chained to whoever is walking them.
Tango is not chained to me. She is on a 7 foot lead on the pavements and varying lengths of longline in free running areas. Chained to me??? Get real.
Does she have no freedom,well she has a lot more than she ever had in the past.
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Never said I did? I know two, but that isn't a lot. I assume that as a retrieving breed (clue being in the name?), they function as retrievers and not as HPR's. But I have never seen one working, so I don't know.

I'm guessing you have never seen a Slovakian, and I can safely say they are the polar opposite of most retriever breeds.
In what way are they the polar opposite of most retriever breeds?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Now you really have lost me. All I asked was for you to define what a stimulating walk was.
Yes because you didn't want to read the thread again because you are 'busy'
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Cosmo runs like that too. Chasing me and objects and frolicing in mud. He doesn't actually run a lot just for the sake of running though, there tends to be a purpose, even if that purpose is running to the next bush! It never seems to be for long either...he won't just run.....and run...and run...I'm not sure many dogs do as that would be so very worrying with an offlead dog!
Cosmo is energetic offlead...of course he is, but he always runs for a reason and never just for the sake of it (excpet in that initial couple of minutes). Even if it is running to his fav puddle...it is for a specific reason. I would have my heart in my mouth if a dog ran.....and ran...just for the sake of running as that would be such a self rewarding activity you would never get them back surely?

That's why I think that dogs on a long line can have just as much fun you see...give them a long enough 'lead' and they do not have to restrict their freedom much.
It would never be long enough to cater for Loki's ability to cover distance with speed. He is very quick indeed.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Some working dogs get lots of Running/working but no Free Time running or walking . working & Kennel i think that is worse than a mainley on lead dog that had the liberty of a odd off lead blast every few weeks or so & was then allowed on lead ambles, able to sniff about etc. Ours in general only have one or two proper Long (1hr Plus) Running walks per week.

I get ALOT of pleasure watching them charge about, But actually enjoy the 2nd half of the walk more when they have blown the cobwebs away & are milling around us interacting etc
I wish mine would get to that point sometimes....never seems to happen - they just keep going.....People I walk with can;t understand it! (neither can I for that matter!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Gabe does.....Siren is lost. Gabe just uruns - I can honeslty say that I see no puropse in his running.

This is not play - and there is no physical contact - might be a race....
Same with Roxy, the brainless creature that she is (and I do mean that!) just loves to run! And run and run.....even if she's on her own. Molly will humour her for a while and run with her and then leave her to her mad ways because she can't be bothered with it after a while.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Tango is not chained to me. She is on a 7 foot lead on the pavements and varying lengths of longline in free running areas. Chained to me??? Get real.
Does she have no freedom,well she has a lot more than she ever had in the past.

In what way are they the polar opposite of most retriever breeds?
In temperament and activity level.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Like Springers and Flat Coats then?!
FCR's are primarily retrievers, I would argue that their energy levels arent as high as the spaniels or the HPR's. If you look at the work a retriever does, it's vastly different to the breeds which hunt and need to sustain their energy levels and stamina. I'm not saying it's impossible for working breeds to be fulfilled on a lead but lets face it, out of the thousands of people who own springers and keep them on a lead, how many bother to put in the time and effort needed to keep that dog from going insane?

Us Dogsey members are the minority dog owners who actually want to understand our dogs and do the absolute best by them. Thats 15,000 out of 5 million (Google statistic!) dog owners. I would say there are alot of dogs suffering out there because they do not get a good run or a sufficient alternative.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post

I think some dogs that are free run everyday and thats all they get miss out on heaps of interaction with their owners.

As I said at the start it is the quality of the walk and the relationship with the owner that is important, not whether the dog is on or offlead....yes it's nice to give offlead but not a necessity.
Page 14 of 46 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 > Last »