Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
John Bull
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-11-2009, 01:33 PM

Claws

How does your dog take to having his/her claws clipped ?
Walks on pavements and concrete tend to keep the claws short, but mostly grass walks let the claws grow, sometimes to an extent that the dog cannot walk properly.

I have found that dogs simply hate this. I have a proper clipper, but it is a battle royal to do it. In fact at times I have to be content with what I can get to avoid undue distress to the dog.

Making sure that the cut is not too much is always a problem.

John Bull
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2009, 01:34 PM
I have to say that I have never cut my dogs nails. We must to enough walking to keep them down.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2009, 01:35 PM
I use a "Dremel" for grinding the nails, the dogs are 100% ok with it whereas they hated the clippers!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I have to say that I have never cut my dogs nails. We must to enough walking to keep them down.
Depends on the breed, Labs usually keep their nails short due to the "cat like" shape of the foot.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2009, 01:43 PM
I've invested in a really decent pair of clippers, the ones with the backing plate, which stops me taking too much off at a time, so I tend to keep them in shape quite regularly.

I thought the puppy would be a nightmare, because my previous bitch was a real nightmare, even at the vet's, 3 nurses, me and the vet ALL holding her and she still screamed the place down!!! Then one day, a new vet, just walked up to her as she was squashed in the corner, carried on talking to me, bent over and clipped ALL of her nails without a murmer or a fuss!!!! After which she cried, and he told me she's a liar!!!!!

I found treats helped a great deal with my puppy. I held one in my left hand, which was only poking out, so she could only nibble on it, and I got the job done! After that, I just wait till she sleepy and lying down, and I go in, very matter of fact and if she starts, she gets a quick "oi" and she's fine! Oh I hate doing them, it was always a nightmare until I got old George, coz he lets me do just about anything with him! I think it helped too, one dog watching the other having it done perhaps?!

We never do pavements, only grass, so no hope of keeping them down naturally, it's a cross I have to bear, but I'm going to ask my vet whether he can quarterise them ALL when I get her speyed, I can't be doing with this quite honestly, just in case I end up cutting off more than I should coz her nails are black, very difficult!
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2009, 01:45 PM
If the claws get too long, I first off clip them, and then use my dremmel, if they are not too bad I just dremmel them, my lot actually like having them done lol, if I get the dremmel out they will line up on the floor offering their paws lol but I have done all of them from being very very young.

mo
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-11-2009, 01:51 PM
Another Dremel fan here, http://homepages.udayton.edu/%7Emere...el/dremel.html

Depending on how much walking they do on pavement Labs often need their nails trimmed. Otherwise, they are click and clacking as they walk on our hardwood floors. Most labs don't like trimming, but are much easier than Shepherds.
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Haven't had to clip yet as walking has kept them down..
But i did have a rabbit once that I had to clip his nails- didn't last long through as I found that trying to walk a rabbit was a slow affair so opted for a pup!!
John Bull
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-11-2009, 02:30 PM
The reason I put this thread on is that we had a gorgeous GS some 6 years ago, a lovely biggy. But he hated having anybody touch his feet and especially the claws.

They got far too long and we took him to the vet. we had to muzzle him to avoid bloodshed, but the vet only managed ONE single claw, then it was over.

We got a good pair of nail clippers and with great difficulty cut all his nails except one back foot, but it was a hell of a fight.

Almost all our walks are on pavement due to our location and our limited ability so perhaps we will be OK with Kaiser our new Rottie. Kas our beautiful big GS who died in August never suffered from long nails, possibly because of pavement walks.

When cutting I never know just how to judge a safe cut and avoid cutting the "quick" and causing pain and bleeding.
John Bull

John Bull
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by John Bull View Post
How does your dog take to having his/her claws clipped ?
Walks on pavements and concrete tend to keep the claws short, but mostly grass walks let the claws grow, sometimes to an extent that the dog cannot walk properly.

I have found that dogs simply hate this. I have a proper clipper, but it is a battle royal to do it. In fact at times I have to be content with what I can get to avoid undue distress to the dog.

Making sure that the cut is not too much is always a problem.

John Bull
Not all dogs hate having their nails clipped, if you start young enough and get them used to it, they will not protest .

Regards some dogs managing to keep their own nails short is not always down to road work, the shape of the feet will play a large part in parring down nails.

Originally Posted by John Bull View Post
The reason I put this thread on is that we had a gorgeous GS some 6 years ago, a lovely biggy. But he hated having anybody touch his feet and especially the claws.

They got far too long and we took him to the vet. we had to muzzle him to avoid bloodshed, but the vet only managed ONE single claw, then it was over.

We got a good pair of nail clippers and with great difficulty cut all his nails except one back foot, but it was a hell of a fight.

Almost all our walks are on pavement due to our location and our limited ability so perhaps we will be OK with Kaiser our new Rottie. Kas our beautiful big GS who died in August never suffered from long nails, possibly because of pavement walks.

When cutting I never know just how to judge a safe cut and avoid cutting the "quick" and causing pain and bleeding.
John Bull

John Bull
Not necessarily, as I said , the conformation of the foot will play a large part in whether or not the nails wear down naturally.

best to invest in a good pair of nail clippers, and over time get him used to them, just do one nail at a time, give him a treat when you have done one,

Always remember to only take the very tip off, specially when you have dark nails and you cant see the quick.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >