Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 01:51 PM

Boxer & Lab breeders Scotland?

My OH just phoned me about his friend that is looking for a boxer or lab puppy in Scotland in the Lanarkshire area.

Can anybody recommend any breeders?

I don't have a lot of knowledge regarding these breeds....

Apparently his friend was phoning up dodgy numbers.... looking for a puppy. (Although he didn't realise)

I have already given him the contact details for Scottish Lab and boxer rescue.

I have told him that good breeders will health test there dogs... and grill him to see if he is suitable and he may be put on a waiting list for the pup....

I also stated that the above two breeds might not be suitable for his life style.

He has two kids ages 6/7 and 10.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Walkon are a boxer breeder in Stranraer
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Boxers and Labs are two totally different breeds - do they actually know what they want in a dog? if they are interested in Labs, they really need to do some research on the different lines (show, working & everything in between) to get an idea of what suits them best. You will get a range of personalities depending on the breeding, so it isn't just a case of "wanting a Lab pup" but rather finding one what is most compatible with their lifestyle. That is the good thing about this breed; that you can go for the more sedate show types if you want a more laid back dog, or the more energetic, full on working types if you are that way inclined....although that said genetics are a funny thing and you can't always predict how a dog is going to turn out!

So to cut a long story short, they must, must, must do some research before ringing around breeders willy-nilly. As you rightly say, good breeders will likely have waiting lists and the sire and dam should both be hip and elbow scored, have a current (yearly) eye certificate, be tested for PRA and preferably be tested for centronuclear myopathy (CNM).
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Boxers and Labs are two totally different breeds - do they actually know what they want in a dog? if they are interested in Labs, they really need to do some research on the different lines (show, working & everything in between) to get an idea of what suits them best. You will get a range of personalities depending on the breeding, so it isn't just a case of "wanting a Lab pup" but rather finding one what is most compatible with their lifestyle. That is the good thing about this breed; that you can go for the more sedate show types if you want a more laid back dog, or the more energetic, full on working types if you are that way inclined....although that said genetics are a funny thing and you can't always predict how a dog is going to turn out!

So to cut a long story short, they must, must, must do some research before ringing around breeders willy-nilly. As you rightly say, good breeders will likely have waiting lists and the sire and dam should both be hip and elbow scored, have a current (yearly) eye certificate, be tested for PRA and preferably be tested for centronuclear myopathy (CNM).

My OH is the piggy in the middle at the moment... I haven't met this friend that is actually someone he works with, rather than a close friend.

I stated that the man has to do loads of research and to avoid any free add sites....

Will tell my OH to advise him to join dogsey himself...
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Velvetine Labradors are up in Scotland, and I know Mhairi a little from chatting online to her, she is a lovely lady and incredibly helpful. If you google their website, the links page has all the information your friend will need to check up on about Labradors, including a link to the Lab Health website.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post

totally agree...kinda like "I want a dog or a cat" well, which do you want...totally different (used to get that at rescue!)