Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loopylouc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2010, 04:28 PM

Dew Claw question

A veterinary student just happened to call at our house on a charity mission. Of course Sam went rushing to see him and he (the student) was playing with him. He asked what sort of cross he was, so I said Jack Russell/Border terrier.

The student then said 'are you sure there's no Staffie in there, because of the position of his dew claws'. When I went to see Sam two weeks before we got him they showed me the mother and father, and they were definitely not Staffies, and didn't look like they had any Staffie in there.

I'm a bit worried now that he might not be a Jack Russell/Border Terrier cross. Are the dew claws in completely different places on these breeds.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Nope !
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm no Staffie owner but I've never heard anything about them having different dew claws, and can't find anything that states they do online!
Loopylouc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2010, 04:35 PM
I thought it seemed a bit odd. I mean I've never studied dew claws before, but they always seemed to be in the same place.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Dew claws are in the same place as other dogs. I have several sets to study and compare with other terriers.

Maybe he is confused because coated terriers tend to have theirs removed and staffords don't. If you dog has his maybe thats why he is confused.
Loopylouc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
Dew claws are in the same place as other dogs. I have several sets to study and compare with other terriers.

Maybe he is confused because coated terriers tend to have theirs removed and staffords don't. If you dog has his maybe thats why he is confused.
Yes that could be it. When looking around I did see a lot of mentions about Jack Russells and removing dew claws.

Is there a reason for it? Or is it something that used to be done when they were bred for hunting rabbits and such?
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 06:22 PM
It was done for working purposes. I show my Lakies and Kirk still has his and it makes no difference
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 06:22 PM
I think the clue is in the word `student`.
as in - got a lot to learn...
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 08:11 PM
ive not heard that either...

why are you now worried that he may not be a JRT x Border terrier? (i know coz of what the dude said, but even if he wasnt why would that worry you... if im making any sense...)
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 08:48 PM
bloody numpties!!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >