View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 04:00 PM

Took this from a rescue site, what do you think?

Some applicants having successfully completed the adoption process patiently wait for a Dobe compatible with their life style and experience of the breed. Sometime this can take months. Sadly it is often the case once a person has decided to rehome a dog to want one immediately and if unable to find one through a rescue centre they turn to the many websites that advertise dogs for sale or f.o.c. Usually they have little or no history and some terrible sob story to tug at the heart strings. Frequently these rehomes have disastrous results and these websites just encourage the irresponsible to breed and traffic unfortunate dogs of all shapes and sizes resulting in rescue and rehoming centres all bursting at the seams. Consequently many dogs of all breeds are being put to sleep never having the opportunity to experience a proper caring home. If you would like a dog please consider a rescue or rehome and be prepared to wait for a dog that suits your life style.
1) what is 'f.o.c'
2) How long are people expected to wait when they already know they want a dog?
3) Do you think this implies that people should not private re-home even if it looks like the only way...and that they are contributing to the problem?

Also, if you dont want a pup, the rescues for whatever reason dont have suitable dogs...are you just supposed to not get a dog then?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 04:01 PM
"Free of charge" (FOC)
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
"Free of charge" (FOC)
Thanks had a total blank there
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Just my interpretation, but seems to me they are just acknowledging that people can get impatient once they've resolved to get a dog.

I saw this with a friend recently. She'd decided on a Lab pup and was then desperate to get it asap - so she went to the first litter she could find. Turned out to be the wrong one for her as although KC Assured etc, she wasn't allowed to see the dam.

I think the rescue site you're quoting from is simply aware of people's impatience and so is asking people to wait a bit and not just go to a puppy farm through their eagerness to get a dog.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 04:36 PM
I see that as a good thing Tabitha but on the other end of the scale when people have waited a year and still nothing..then what? I think to write
Frequently these rehomes have disastrous results
is like using scare tactics a bit. It might scare GOOD, responsible people from even looking into a private rehome when those dogs are still going to go somewhere and probably not as nice a place!

I think maybe it would be good if they could discourage the 'buy fast, buy cheap' attitude through their site but at the same time maybe have guidelines on the site for not only what to look for in a responsible breeder of puppies but also in buying an adult dog.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
I see that as a good thing Tabitha but on the other end of the scale when people have waited a year and still nothing..then what? I think to write is like using scare tactics a bit. It might scare GOOD, responsible people from even looking into a private rehome when those dogs are still going to go somewhere and probably not as nice a place!

I think maybe it would be good if they could discourage the 'buy fast, buy cheap' attitude through their site but at the same time maybe have guidelines on the site for not only what to look for in a responsible breeder of puppies but also in buying an adult dog.

I agree that a year long wait is a bit much. It took eight months for me to find Dexter and by that 8th month I was starting to approach breeders because the 'right' dog had not come into rescue.

I do worry about some private rehomes; not everyone is honest about why they are rehoming their dog. Then again, I'm sure some work out really well too.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
I agree that a year long wait is a bit much. It took eight months for me to find Dexter and by that 8th month I was starting to approach breeders because the 'right' dog had not come into rescue.

I do worry about some private rehomes; not everyone is honest about why they are rehoming their dog. Then again, I'm sure some work out really well too.
Yep, they say they are all bursting at the seams, they still dont have any dogs..the dogs arent likely to come in for you as they are 'bursting at the seams' already, then what are people supposed to do? They surely cant expect that either everyone has (or wants to) spend a grand getting a pup, even though an adult would suit them better or keep waiting year on year cos MAYBE the right dog will come along. I just think good sensible advice would be better than scare tactics...
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2012, 04:53 PM
I have mixed feelings on this really. Someone I used to know got a large Collie cross as a private rehome through the free ads. They were asked if they had any children, but on saying that they didn't, were not warned that the dog really didn't like children at all. He turned out to be extremely reactive to children, and the first time he met a child visitor to his new home there was almost a serious incident.

If his new owners had been warned, they wouldn't have taken the dog on (although they didn't have children, they did have nephews and nieces who visited). Sadly, this is probably why they were not told. Someone put getting a new home for a dog they no longer wanted over the safety of any children the dog might come into contact with.

On the other hand, we will be looking to offer a home to a cat once we've had some time to get over the sudden loss of Tyr. The rescue I used to be involved with is now focused on the management of feral colonies (feeding, spaying/neutering and releasing) rather than mainstream cat rescue, and I know (previous experience of this) that we will likely have problems obtaining a cat from other rescues because of our proximity to a reasonably busy road.

Therefore, our options are to buy a kitten or two, which I would prefer not to do as I would rather offer a home to a cat or two in need, or trawl the free ads looking for cats needing new homes. I don't like the idea, but at the end of the day it is not the fault of the cats that they are unwanted for whatever reason.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Milan my black Dobermann was a free to good home rehome bitch at 8 months old. She'd had a crappy start in life rehomed several times, I think I'm her 4th home. I wasn't even looking for another dog at the time, I had my hands full with Frankie and Diesel tbh but someone pointed me in her direction, she was advertised on e p u p z and was also on dobermann rehome or doberman welfare, can't remember which tbh looking for a new home while staying with her original owner until they found a home for her, they decided to vet prospective rehomers themselves too and got more response via e p u p z than the rescue sites. I talked at length with her original owner via email and on the phone, took Syd and Rio along to meet her and the arrangement was supposed to be if they liked me and I them and the dog was happy with everything, I'd go back the following week to collect her so that we all had time to give it some thought, that all went out the window and Milan came home with me that day. She had a few issues but I have no small kids to consider and a lot of her problems were due to living on the street having to fend for herself and lack of confidence. She quickly gained confidence from Syd and Rio and settled in pretty quickly. She's been here since march 2008 and has never really given me any trouble. She's shown herself to be very adaptable. Taking on a rehome without the back up of rescue is a bit of a gamble to say the least but I have great faith in my own ability to judge people and dogs and probably not quite as much faith in rescues. When I take a dog on there is zero chance of it bouncing back to where it came from and I would never be tempted to take on a dog that I didn't feel entirely comfortable with which is where a lot of people go wrong with a private rehome, they want to get the dog out of it's current situation and end up with a dog they can't cope with, whereas if I had any doubts I would simply walk away.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Thanks CCF and Trouble.

Trouble, I think the same, plenty Q&A going on and also feeling ok with the dog. TBH even rescues have the dogs interest at heart more than anything and that can also (for want of a better word) 'scew' things a little maybe. I also have cats and the rescues pretty much cant guarantee that a dog will be ok with them anyway (even if a dog lives with cats doesnt mean it will like all of them!)

So I think the main thing is feeling comfy with the answers you get, using your gut instinct, reading between the lines etc, but more than anything feeling comfy with the dog.

I'm also a bit limited with certain bigger rescues as I work and I wont neuter my dog just beause I'm getting another one (which will probably be spayed anyway) but I tend to keep looking about and think the right dog will come along at the right time.

I just think that basically telling people to rule out private rehome without rescue assistance is a bit much! when, tbf, the rescue doesnt know you, your dog, your family and how the dog is with all that on a day to day basis anyway.

Before anyone jumps on me, I'm not bashing what rescues do here, just this issue of the 'do's and don'ts' Some things would be great in an ideal world but...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >