Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
My reasons for not spaying (despite knowing health risks):

1. putting her through a big op
2. the effects it may have on her emotionally/behaviourally (will she be as playful? as loving?)
3. physical effects - she is food orientated so training is done using food, will she put weight on easier?
4. I show her, although this isn't my main priority, it's something to think about. Am I likely to be given permission to show her?
5. (completely cosmetic) will her scar show? She's a white dog with not much hair on her tummy. I just know that if I see it regularly I'll keep going back to how she was after her op (and I know she'll feel sorry for herself)

Now I'm wondering, will her possessive nature and intolerance with male dogs being too near her calm down if she's spayed and her hormones settle?

The thing is, I'm increasingly worried about pyo and cancer, I won't be breeding her but am still concerned for the above reasons!

Thanks in advance
Hi Lottie I have to say with females if they are not to have pups then I would be inclined to have them done. I felt bad getting Keena done initially but to answer some of your q's in my experiance...

If Keena is anything to go by her personality hasn't changed any at all - still just as playful and loving.

Keena didn't put weight on and infact lost weight and it was a long time coming back again - She is a good weight now and we have no problems.

Keena is white too but does have a very furry belly, though if you look hard enough anfd if the scar was very apparent you could still see it but I don't see anything noticable on her.

We lost the little Yorkie we had when I was growing up to mamary tumours she was never spayed and because I was a kid I had no idea about speying them reducing those risks, she was other wise very fit and healthy and had alot of life in her left but she went to early with these tumors - the vet told us back then that had she have been spayed at an early age that would have almost eliminated the chance of getting them...That played a big part in our decision to get Keena done - that and Kody's arrival!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2007, 01:22 PM
Well I've booked her in for April 12th (she finished her season just after Christmas - some time in the beginning of January - lost my diary) but am just waiting to hear from ringcraft trainer about whether I should just give her one more season to fill out (she's 19 months old). She's a judge so can tell me if she thinks she's alright as she is and whether she's likely to fill out anymore.

It's a bit of a plunge but I feel it is in her best interest, especially as she's very unsettled a lot of the time with male dogs 'interfering' and I think she'd probably be far happier...
April 12th sounds about right - as far as I know the right time is approx three months after the last season.

I don't reckon it'll change her coat as she is short coated - Keena is more furry and her coat didn't change - I agree that it must affect some breeds or even individuals differently coat wise...and just think you don't have to spend three or more weeks twice a year worrying about your walks so that will be a good thing to look forward to...Good luck
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
April 12th sounds about right - as far as I know the right time is approx three months after the last season.

I don't reckon it'll change her coat as she is short coated - Keena is more furry and her coat didn't change - I agree that it must affect some breeds or even individuals differently coat wise...and just think you don't have to spend three or more weeks twice a year worrying about your walks so that will be a good thing to look forward to...Good luck

Well that's another thing... I just wanted to make sure I wasn't having her spayed for my convenience but she does end up missing training, has missed two shows due to being in season and although it doesn't tend to bother her, she did have a very slight phantom in her first season which the vet said will increase chances of having them in future (although no problems with her second).

Inca - I am going to check out other dally owners and see how their bitches weight was/wasn't affected after spaying, thank you for clarifying it's can be a breed specific thing.

Thanks again all.
safneo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-02-2007, 06:38 PM
From your avatar I'm guessing you have a Dally?

My friend has a rescue dally and she has been spayed and the scar is barely noticeable.

Re the showing. Is it worth risking her health/life ? Especially if others are being shown after having been spayed. Its not as easy an op as neutering a male dog but most bitches get over it in a few days. The scar should start to fade after a few months. Can you time her spay when you are not at the height of showing season?
gypsygirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-02-2007, 02:55 AM
Ok I'm new and may be way out of line her for which I apolodize. To me unless you a a reputal breeder or show you dogs there is no reason to not have them spayed or neuterd. Breeding should be done to improve the breed so unless you have a top quality dog who can add to the breed. do not breed. To breed top quality dog is very expensive. All the genetic testing have to be done to rule out any off gene. Collie eye in he Collie Breeds, Hip Dyspasys in a number of breeds.
Ok I may be a bit over the top here. I work in rescue and we see a number of PB dogs with health problems from back yard breeders. It makes me crazy when I hear Fluffy is so cute and everyone will want one of her puppies. WRONG they sell one or two and the others end up in the shelter.Dn't get me wrong I'm not against breeding. I have friend that are breeders. They are also the ones that know where every one of their puppies are and willing to take them back at eny time of their life if the owners can't keep them. That constitutes a good breed and unless that is your mandate. DON'T BREED.
Just my opinion.
PS mine are all spaye and neutered. There peronality did not change. No weight problems.
gypsygirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-02-2007, 03:01 AM
PS to my last post. Re scaring. Sophie has very little sonach boddy hair and so scar is visble and if it was to me that would be no big deal.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2007, 01:08 PM
Well that's another thing... I just wanted to make sure I wasn't having her spayed for my convenience but she does end up missing training, has missed two shows due to being in season and although it doesn't tend to bother her
Ahh that's good With Keena she hated the restrained month - 6wks walks, I was ok but she didn't like it cuz her season went on forever
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2007, 03:31 PM
gypsy girl thank you for your I'm not going to go into breeding because there are plenty of threads on here. Takara is a top quality bitch and her pups would sell. I'm not being biased, she comes from good lines and has very good conformation and movement, her health is fantastic with no skin allergies which is what dals are most prone to or any other illness. She also has a fantastic temperament. For these reasons, I have considered breeding (only with a waiting list and the time and money needed, and after enough show results to back up my claims) but have decided that by the time I'm in a position to she will not be at a good age to have her first litter so have decided against it.

As I said before, Takara was always going to be spayed but then when I got her, and got to know her and love her there were some major concerns about it. I haven't done it upto now either because I wanted her to have a couple of seasons to fill out.

As for the scar, it would bother me, because looking at it would always remind me of the scariest day of my life - when I have to take her in and leave her there.

I do show her, but it's not the be all and end all and she's a pet first and foremost, but it's worthwhile asking all the questions first to be prepared. If anything was to happen that stopped me showing her, she'd still be my special girl.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-02-2007, 06:41 PM
My reasons for not spaying (despite knowing health risks):

1. putting her through a big op It's a routine op most vets carryout this op daily
2. the effects it may have on her emotionally/behaviourally (will she be as playful? as loving?) If anything she'll be more playful & loving
3. physical effects - she is food orientated so training is done using food, will she put weight on easier? only if she's not regularly exercised
4. I show her, although this isn't my main priority, it's something to think about. Am I likely to be given permission to show her? Yes, but at present you may not be given 1st place, however this is likely to change in the near future
5. (completely cosmetic) will her scar show? She's a white dog with not much hair on her tummy. I just know that if I see it regularly I'll keep going back to how she was after her op (and I know she'll feel sorry for herself) It'll be a reminder that your a responsible owner. Using a good vet the scar should only be a couple of inches long and hardly visible

Now I'm wondering, will her possessive nature and intolerance with male dogs being too near her calm down if she's spayed and her hormones settle? More than likely yes

The thing is, I'm increasingly worried about pyo and cancer, I won't be breeding her but am still concerned for the above reasons! Pyo and cancer are killers the above aren't

Good luck deciding
BC's Forever
New Member!
Female 

18-02-2007, 09:46 PM
hey, all I would say is that after having seen too many bitches with pyos and vaginal hyperplasias in my time as a vet nurse, my advice would be if you are not going to breed her then definately get her spayed without question. Take friday for example, we had a 14 year old jack russel bitch brought in, she had a massive pyo at rupture point and we had to do the emergency operation immediately! Believe me, it is much more stressful for dog, owner and vet when something like that happens, that could have been so easily avoided with a routine spay. Your bitch should be back to normal in no time. We spay bitches every day and it is a routine operation to vets, they will be very experienced at doing the op.
If you have any doubts discuss them with your vet/nurse and I'm sure they will be happy to put your mind at rest.

As for weight gain, yes some dogs are prone to weight gain once neutered, but this depends solely on the individual dogs metabolism and as long as feeding routines and exercise are monitored carefully, there shouldn't be a problem.
The scar on a dally will probably be around 2 - 3 inches long depending on the vet (some prefer to make larger incisions than others), and as long as you have a good vet, they will stitch her up nice and neatly! once healed and once her hair has grown over you will hardly notice it.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >