Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
elvis's_Mummy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-02-2007, 09:01 PM

Bad Ears, Feet and now Chops!

A while back Elvis suffered from sore feet they were red and he kept licking them, I rubbed cream on them and after a while they cleared up, however since his ears have beee so bad i cant seem to get them to clear! I tried the same cream with no luck and have just started using some drops from the vet. He has also developed some sores around his chops which he keeps scratching and making worse so they dont have time to heal!

Is there any particular thing that cold be causing these? He is fed on ND which i gather is good quality the only thing i can think is he is given small bones (the coloured shape dog buscuits) as treats, would this make a differeance? His is not fed out of a plastic bowl and his face is wiped after meals!
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2007, 09:42 PM
It does sound like allergies to me. has your vet done any test re allergies?

Mo
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-02-2007, 12:06 AM
What ingredients are in the coloured shaped bones? and how are they stored? I can't feed Finn any of the gravy bone type biscuits that are lying loose in pet shops because of a storage mite allergy, which is quite common
JR Lady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-02-2007, 01:23 AM
I am inclined to agree with Mo that your boy may well be suffering from allergy - possibly to the ingredients in the new treat you have given him. Your vet can arrange for him to have allergy tests.

Hope he gets better soon..Must be miserable for him to have those itchy sores to contend with.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2007, 07:48 AM
The bones you describe if they are what I think they are will contain wheat/gluten which in suseceptable dogs can cause a reaction as you describe and is very common.
One of my dogs has an intolerance to wheat/gluten and gets very itchy and sore if he gets hold of something by mistake, like grabbing a bit of bread off the ground when out for a walk. I havn't seen a list of the foods ingredients that you feed as the main diet but avoid anything that could contain wheat gluten or is cereal based. Only feed things that state they are wheat/gluten free.
It could be anything your dog is reacting too but more often than not its the food and these are the two main culprits and would give you a good basis to start to eliminate.
You can buy wheat/gluten free bone shape biscuits at PAH, I have some downstairs think they are JWB but will check later if you wish or I just keep some of my dogs main food as treats.
elvis's_Mummy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Carole View Post
What ingredients are in the coloured shaped bones? and how are they stored? I can't feed Finn any of the gravy bone type biscuits that are lying loose in pet shops because of a storage mite allergy, which is quite common
I am not sure if the ingrediants as I throw the bag they come in away and store them in a biscuit barrel! Although they do come pre-packed in a bag. They are white bones, hearts and squares and have a different coloured filling in the centre but hard.

Mo: He does have food allergies and also suffers from IBS so i have to be carefull what he eats. He is on ND but the ears, chops have only recently come, and i must admit he has been having a few more of these bones than previously!

Madmare: I have just brought some JWB treats this morning for him to try, and also some Natures Menu ones. I hope they dont react and set off his Irital Bowl again...fingers crossed!

Thanks for your comments guys.