View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HeartMorrissey
New Member!
Female 

12-01-2013, 04:12 PM

A detailed comparison between Royal Canin Sensitivity Control & Burns Sensitivity Plu

Hi there,

I have a two year old Alaskan Malamute & he suffers terribly with colitis, IBD & IBS (poor little sausage) I have tried many Hypoallergenic brands such as J.Wellbeloved, Arden Grange etc & all of them have failed tremendously!

The vet informed me to try RC sensitivity control and it has worked wonderfully! It has certainly controlled all the unwanted side effects - but now he has very hard, almost nugget like stools - however, it's better than liquid!

I have been told about Burns Sensitivity Control & with regards to the ingredients am rather pleased, but I'm nervous as wether to try and gradually change the diet! Burns have told me to do it significantly slowly however didn't offer a comparison between the two brands!
The main reason for me wanting to change the food is that Burns is about £45 cheaper per bag, but I do not want to under any circumstance compromise the health of my dog!

I would be most pleased with any suggestion! Thank you very much!
Ellen & Oreo
Azz
Administrator
Male 

14-01-2013, 02:16 PM
Burns is a pretty good brand, so is worth a go. However, have you looked at other options such as species appropriate Raw or home-cooked? They are arguably better and will actually be cheaper too

Take a look at our guide on dog food:

Dog Food
Kaska
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-01-2013, 05:28 PM
When I got my puppy he was on Beta Puppy and his stools were okay, but then he got colitis after eating sheep poo and nothing I gave him (scrambled egg, chicken & rice) worked. I tried RC sensitivity control (tinned) and this didn't work either. I then tried the RC kibble and it was fantastic, dried everything up. But, as you say it's horrendously expensive and I tried to wean him onto cheaper but reasonable quality stuff such as James Wellbeloved, Arden Grange etc. without too much success. I finally kept him on Wainwrights Salmon & Potato and he has been fine on this. His stools aren't quite as firm as he was on RC but they are pretty well formed and okay enough for me.

It does take quite a while for a pup's digestion to cope with changes and you might have to persevere over several weeks or months. Mine has settled down but he still suffers from a bit of wind

I think that puppy food tends to be quite rich and maybe this is a factor in the stool consistency! All my other dogs are on Arden Grange Lamb & Rice and none of them have any problems whatsoever, my pup will be weaned onto that when he is old enough.
HeartMorrissey
New Member!
Female 

14-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Thanks very much Azz, have read through the article - very informative - much appreciated!

And thank you Kaska for your review! Funnily enough salmon causes the bloody stool response with my boy! I've also tried every home-cooked plausible meal & he suffers greatly! It's such a shame RC is a Veterinary diet, isn't it! Thank you very much!!