Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Roofs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-08-2012, 01:41 PM

Dog Neutering- Recovery?

My dog is going off on Friday to get neutered, I picked Friday so I'd have a bit of time over the weekend to look after him.

So, what can I expect, I assume he'll just be sore groggy and sleepy on Friday night.

He's a very active dog so I really don't know how I'm going to keep him still.

Can anyone give me any ideas on what he'll be like and how on earth to keep him quiet whilst he heals?! Plus how should I travel him home, he usually goes in a cage on the front seat, should I just let him lie on the back seat? It's not far from mine to the vets.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Mine all behaved differently straight after tbh. Syd was pretty much his normal self not groggy or anything, Diesel was full of beans and Frankie was feeling very sorry for himself for a few days. I brought them all home in the boot of my car same as they usually travel. I also took the buster collar off frequently to make life a bit more normal for them. Frankies stayed off and he had a t shirt instead. The others only had the collar on when left alone. We started onlead walks after a couple of days but indoors everything was back to normal pretty quickly.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2012, 02:48 PM
They all react differently. Lennon was a bit put out (well you would be, wouldn't you?) and a tad "off" for 24 hours. He improved very, very quickly though.

Hope it goes well x
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2012, 02:56 PM
All of mine were back to normal personality wise hours after being home when the anesthetic wore off.

I didn't use a lampshade for any of them. Most dogs find wearing them very stressful so it is something I like to avoid if possible. However, it is worth keeping one by in the unlikely event your dog bothers the stitches. Your vet should give you one.

I didn't do anything special to keep mine quiet. Life was completely as normal bar lead walking only for the first week or so.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Both my boys were whiny and groggy for the first few hours of being back.

Coles was his usual self the next morning. However, Buster wasn’t himself properly for around 4 days. He hardly eat anything.

I did have the cone of shame on both boys but I did take it off them when I was there to supervise. They both healed well and were back to normal (normal walks etc) within 14 days. (BTW they were not neutered at the same time).

I also gave them chews to keep them busy like stag bars when they couldn’t run wild round the house.
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
All of mine were back to normal personality wise hours after being home when the anesthetic wore off.

I didn't use a lampshade for any of them. Most dogs find wearing them very stressful so it is something I like to avoid if possible. However, it is worth keeping one by in the unlikely event your dog bothers the stitches. Your vet should give you one.

I didn't do anything special to keep mine quiet. Life was completely as normal bar lead walking only for the first week or so.
same here. only had one neutered and was amazed at how quickly he recovered.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Aw he's only a baby why so soon
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 05:37 AM
Mine was fine, never used the shade either. he just got a bit ''black and blue'' in that area and a bit whiny the first day but other than that, no problems at all... the vet actually came here and did him on the top of our trailer as he was such a whimp, he would not travel in the car and try and move an 80 kg dog when he doesn't want to...