Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-09-2017, 09:26 PM

My dog and I

A personal tale. About me might be a better descriptor.

The last year, actually from December 2015, has not been easy for me. Cancer, depression, radio therapy, cellulitis, and shingles all on my left temple. Stuck in hospital for a week in July with various intravenous drips. I was totally spaced out. That wrecked at least a month of my life. Exhausted all the time. Did nothing but sleep.

But the dog seemed to know I wasn't well. He laid by my bed and watched. My dear wife walked him. When done, he was straight back up to check on me. Difficult to explain what that did for me. But I have no doubt he was a big influence in my progress to recovery.

It has not been easy but I think I'm on the mend. My dear wife has supported me all the way. Without her I would have been lost. Max was therapy bound up in a furry coat.

We are back to long walks and he keeps an eye on me.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-09-2017, 11:24 PM
I went through similar in 2012. I have Lupus and on a routine kidney scan, the operative picked up on an ovarian abnormality. I had keyhole surgery to remove the ovaries, but the cancer had also spread to the lymph nodes, so I had to have a full hysterectomy and removal of the omentum. I carried on with my obedience training and shows throughout this.
Three weeks after getting the all clear, I found a breast lump - and another in my armpit. Prognosis was only 50/50 and the op and chemo floored me, but I was determined to qualify my Beagle boy in KC Working Trials. My oncologist had insisted no dog shows as they were having to knock out my immune system , but he grudgingly agreed that I could try attending a trial as we are worked one at a time, in a field, and I could arrange to have minimum contact with other people.
My OH had doubts, but this became my focus and a diversion from my ills. Ed began to turn himself into an assistance dog, and when we came to work our trial he didn't just qualify - he actually won his stake. I owe him a great deal, as you quite rightly say, therapy in a furry coat.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-09-2017, 02:25 AM
Originally Posted by CaroleC View Post
I went through similar in 2012. I have Lupus and on a routine kidney scan, the operative picked up on an ovarian abnormality. I had keyhole surgery to remove the ovaries, but the cancer had also spread to the lymph nodes, so I had to have a full hysterectomy and removal of the omentum. I carried on with my obedience training and shows throughout this.
Three weeks after getting the all clear, I found a breast lump - and another in my armpit. Prognosis was only 50/50 and the op and chemo floored me, but I was determined to qualify my Beagle boy in KC Working Trials. My oncologist had insisted no dog shows as they were having to knock out my immune system , but he grudgingly agreed that I could try attending a trial as we are worked one at a time, in a field, and I could arrange to have minimum contact with other people.
My OH had doubts, but this became my focus and a diversion from my ills. Ed began to turn himself into an assistance dog, and when we came to work our trial he didn't just qualify - he actually won his stake. I owe him a great deal, as you quite rightly say, therapy in a furry coat.
Oh my! That puts my tale into perspective. A little tale that might give you a smile. A few weeks in I could take the dressing off but it left a horrible gaping sore. I wore a trilby when I was out and about but didn't deter one wee boy.
"Is that your brains mister?"
"Can't be. I don't have any."
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2017, 02:37 PM
We owe a lot to our dogs companionship. I would be lost without my boy. Take heart all.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2017, 06:20 PM
I hope you will all be well from here on in.
Cancer is a dreadful thing to come to terms with, I know because I have been there too. I also had shingles which really floors you.
At the time I was going through all this my hubby had a heart attack.
Our dog then was Nippy, and since then we have had Sadie, Mo and Pepsi. They have all helped in their own way.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-09-2017, 08:10 PM
I hope you are keeping well Nippy.
I bet there are lots of stories like these on here. Our dogs help to normalise the things that happen to us. Because they live for today, they expect us to be able do the same.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-09-2017, 10:13 PM
I went through the mill I thought. But you guys had it worse. I can only express my sympathies.

We love our dogs. And they love us. Unconditionally.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2017, 09:06 AM
Besoeker, we all have tales to tell and to us ours personally are always the worse.
I really hope that you are fully recovered now. I can tell that you have not lost your sense of humour ........and that is a very important thing
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-09-2017, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Besoeker, we all have tales to tell and to us ours personally are always the worse.
I really hope that you are fully recovered now. I can tell that you have not lost your sense of humour ........and that is a very important thing
Thank you, Nippy.
Yes, Max makes me smile. He is a big, handsome, gentle, and friendly chap and he makes a lot of people smile. For me, that is his greatest attribute. I got him qualified as a PAT dog. Pets As Therapy.
Nature or nurture........he is just the Max we love.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2017, 07:16 PM
Dogs have fantastic memories. Today Tyto saw someone that he hadn't seen for about a year and said hello to him like a long lost friend. He only ever sees this person sporadically. The person was so pleased to see Tyto as he had been away himself abroad for six months.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »