Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lisa34
New Member!
Female 

02-09-2009, 08:18 AM

post operative hernia following bitch spay

Hi I am very concerned as 11 month old Ellie was spayed urgently 8 days ago for prolonged season bleeding which went well. However on the weekend I noticed she developed a large lump around one side of the wound. I have limited her activities as much as possible such as stopping her from bounding and jumping. Yesterday I took her back to the vets as I was concerned and it turns out she has an internal suture rupture which has caused a hernia and needs this repairing under anaesthetic this friday coming.

If this is a post operative complication then do I have to pay for this operation?? any advice would be appreciated as much as I have watched Ellie over the last 8 days I cannot stop her every movement.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Are they certain it is a hernia as one of my bitches had an awful reaction to the stitches which resulted in a massive purple (looked like a huge blood blister) around the wound, very similar in shape to a hernia.
Becky
lisa34
New Member!
Female 

02-09-2009, 09:49 AM
The vet is 99.9% certain it is a hernia. It is not red or inflammed, just a large lump and the skin wound has opened up a little so she is on antibiotics for that. It was Ellie's first holiday this saturday, a doggy week in devon. Still hoping we can take her on monday to recuperate gently there