Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Good dog and good cats lol

If my dog got bitten by a rat, I would be tempted to go and get him an ab jab but that's just me. Bites, any bites can get infected never mind from something so disgusting as a rat! Get him for a jab, better safe than sorry. jmo
woodlanddad
New Member!
Male 

27-03-2012, 12:17 AM
My blue tick got bitten on the side of mouth. Little blood and some swelling. Cleaned with saline and flushed with hydrogen peroxide. Put antibiotic ointment and called vet. keeping fingers crossed
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2012, 06:08 PM
I have to disagree slightly with the general opinion that rat bites are "clean".

Both of our last two dogs used to come up against rats around the chicken run and stables............whenever they were bitten, in spite of scrupulous cleaning, an abscess resulted.

I would definitely ask the opinion of a vet, and have a course of ABs as a precaution.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2012, 07:16 PM
I got bitten by a domestic rat and it was sooooo painful and infected. I second the plan to get antibiotics
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2012, 07:52 PM
If you have a rat problem can I suggest you get in touch with your local council. They will come out and lay bait safely for a small fee ( my council charges £25 , unless you are a pensioner or in receipt of benefits , then it's free ) they will come out as many times as is needed to get rid of them.
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-03-2012, 07:53 PM
if its the first time he has been bitten i would go to a vet to be safe,
now adays my dogs dont feel like they have had a full days work if they arnt bleeding somwhere
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I have to disagree slightly with the general opinion that rat bites are "clean".

Both of our last two dogs used to come up against rats around the chicken run and stables............whenever they were bitten, in spite of scrupulous cleaning, an abscess resulted.

I would definitely ask the opinion of a vet, and have a course of ABs as a precaution.
Rats have a "dry bite" (no saliva like a dog or cat) and so it's unlikely that they'll pass something on directly. But a bite is a puncture wound and could introduce all manners of bacteria that were sitting on the dog's skin into the body dependant on how deep the bite went, so antibiotics are a good idea.
I've had multiple rat bites (domestic, had a fondness for the "problem" ratties!) and I don't recall any getting badly infected but they are deep, when the rat has the intention to bite rather than nip - have several scars that are still visible nearly 10 years on. One even pierced right through my cartilage
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2