Our sister sites
Our sister sites
antmckee
New Member!
Male 

20-07-2010, 05:15 PM

French Bulldog puppy

Hi all,

I was wondering what would be a good diet for my little frenchy.

He's 12weeks old and we have had him since saturday.

The breeders were feeding him green tripe and have given us enough for the week.

I have been reading another thread on here regarding tripe and it appears to be highly recommended.

As he is so young and new to us i'm reluctant to change his diet right away so will be keeping him on the tripe, but what is not clear to me is should I be feeding him this for every meal?

Would it be advisable to feed him a decent kibble in the morning and then trip later on.

He is very stocky and obviously I want to make sure he gets everything to help him grow up to be big and strong.

Any help and tips would be very much appreciated as he is our first dog.
kathy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Did the breeder not give you a diet sheet with times amounts etc.? Would stick to the food he was on for a little while and change over slowly if you feel he needs something different or is not coming on well
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by antmckee View Post
Hi all,

I was wondering what would be a good diet for my little frenchy.

He's 12weeks old and we have had him since saturday.

The breeders were feeding him green tripe and have given us enough for the week.

I have been reading another thread on here regarding tripe and it appears to be highly recommended.

As he is so young and new to us i'm reluctant to change his diet right away so will be keeping him on the tripe, but what is not clear to me is should I be feeding him this for every meal?

Would it be advisable to feed him a decent kibble in the morning and then trip later on.

He is very stocky and obviously I want to make sure he gets everything to help him grow up to be big and strong.

Any help and tips would be very much appreciated as he is our first dog.
Hi Ant although tripe is a good thing to feed I don't think it contains all the nutrients a growing puppy needs and I would feed other meats including offal, also fish/eggs or you could go for one of the pre prepared raw diets like Natural Instinct or Darlings (both have websites explaining the food).

If you decide to go for a kibble I would choose a good quality one like Fish4dogs/Arden Grange/Wafcol and it will need to be introduced gradually over a number of days. I would also soak it.

At 12 weeks old your puppy should still be on three meals a day.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 06:19 AM
Ohh another Frenchie - Yay!

I am somewhat surprised your breeder didn't give you a comprehensive diet and advise pack! Most breeders have their pups on a complete puppy meal and supply you with a small bag of it to help you on your way.

Initially Lola (my Frenchie) was on Royal Canin, but we gradually swopped her onto Arden Grange Puppy. She's nearly 1yr old now so is on an Adult kibble. Lola's breeder also recommended adding small amounts of fish like cod, sardines, pilchards etc (eg a couple of teaspoons) and some natural yoghurt on occasion.

I prefer to feed my dogs(especially as pups) on a complete kibble as it has all their essential vitamins and nutrients they need to develop.

Can't wait to see pictures of your baby.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 06:25 AM
I agree with the others, that your breeder should have given you a diet sheet to help you through the initial phases.

I think you should put pup onto a puppy food to ensure he gets all the essential vitamins and nutrients to help him grow.

Good luck with him, I look forward to seeing some piccies of him
antmckee
New Member!
Male 

21-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Wow, thanks for the quick responses guys!

The breeder basically advised us to feed him the tripe that they supplied (with bits of kibble in it) 3 times a day.

I will have a look at the complete feeds that you have all recommended and will upload a piccy once I figure out how.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by antmckee View Post
Wow, thanks for the quick responses guys!

The breeder basically advised us to feed him the tripe that they supplied (with bits of kibble in it) 3 times a day.

I will have a look at the complete feeds that you have all recommended and will upload a piccy once I figure out how.
If you look under the section 'your dogs pictures' you will see a 'sticky' which tells you how to post pics