Our sister sites
allen
New Member!
Male 

03-04-2008, 07:16 PM

Help - whiny dog!

Hi there

I need help, I'm afraid.

I expected to spend a lot of time with my puppy, but I am finding can't leave the room for 2 minutes without him howling the house down. There's a limit to what I can put my neighbours through, and I've tried leaving him for up to 30 minutes before I cave in.

Any help appreciated,

Allen, London
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Usually puppies have to learn that you will be coming back to be confident enough to relax and wait quietly. You don't say how old the pup is but try leaving for 1 second, the 2 and so on. Leave a radio or TV if possible with a male voice. IMO by leaving him for half an hour you are reinforcing his feelings of having been abandoned.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Sorry where are my manners

youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Usually puppies have to learn that you will be coming back to be confident enough to relax and wait quietly. You don't say how old the pup is but try leaving for 1 second, the 2 and so on. Leave a radio or TV if possible with a male voice. IMO by leaving him for half an hour you are reinforcing his feelings of having been abandoned.
I think this is sound advice, I've been lucky as I have never experienced the problem (to many animals here) but one of my girls 'howls' on firework night, and as they go on till late we recorded a tape with my voice on.....it settles her down alot, she still winges, but better than howling. Good luck with your new pup.........enjoy. Welcome to dogsey by the way.
dan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-04-2008, 12:16 AM
Good advice given already but also leaving a item of your clothing in the crate/basket can be very comforting for your pup. You can also get D.A.P. diffusers which may help too.

Dan. x
dan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-04-2008, 12:18 AM
P.S. 'Welcome to Dogsey'!

Dan, Murphy and Willow.xxx
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Hi and welcome...
how old is this puppy? How long have you had him/her? What breed or type is it?....we`re a nosy lot and also it helps to have a bit of background.