Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 06:51 AM

Horsefly bite...

I was walking Inca across the field yesterday when I felt a tingle on my arm. A Horsefly!
I managed to brush it off before it took hold properly but by the time we got home I had a small red lump.
I fell asleep on the sofa last night and awoke with such pain in that arm, but just thought it was where I had been lying on it funny.
But now this morning I have a swelling, about 3 inches across, and it aches!

I am quite allergic to bites/stings, and if I get one on a joint I'm in trouble. This one isn't but I'm off to double my anti-histamine.

Any other tips?
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 06:53 AM
Ooh, oweee, poor you, boy do they hurt, hope the pills help
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 07:09 AM
Keep a close eye on it and if the anti-histamine doesn't look like it's making a difference, get yourself to the doctors/casuality.

Both me & a friend were stung last year - because I react quite badly I went to the doctors the next day - it was infected and they had to give me a shot of anti-biotics.

My friend left hers a few days longer - hers was infected too and she ended spending the night in hospital on a drip.

So sometimes it isn't just the reaction to the sting - they are dirty wee beasties that can carry infection.

Hopefully you have cleaner hoseflies where you are and the anti-histamine will do the trick
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 07:17 AM
PS - if you aren't up to date with your tetnus, it might be worth going to the drs anyway for that.