Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2015, 12:51 PM

Please help me choose a colour!

I can't look at any more paint charts!! Its making me dizzy
So here's what I'd like your help with Am painting hall,stairs and landing Antique cream( light cream)The wood panelling looked great at the time ( 18 years ago) but now it needs to go,decided to paint it but what colour
Stairs will remain the same,except the steps will be carpeted,it's just the panelling I need opinions on,thanks
BTW,wall colour is not set in stone,can be changed also if someone comes up with something that will match in better

Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2015, 01:17 PM
Could you not sand down the paneling? So it's a lighter colour to match the antique cream colour, And hope you don't mind saying I wouldn't carpet your stairs, either
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-03-2015, 01:18 PM
What colour is the carpet and is it patterned
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-03-2015, 01:18 PM
Take a look at farrow and ball........London stone, I have it on my wood paneling and a light cream on the walls, p.s its not as dark as it looks when on, other choices are bone , and cord.
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2015, 01:29 PM
I would paint the panelling a little darker than the walls but would not carpet the stairs Hope that helps
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2015, 01:48 PM
Have the Farrow and Ball chart Jackie,thanks,some gorgeous colours in there Will have a look at the one's you suggested
Get you on the no carpet folks.Had planned on only carpeting the middle section and leaving the two sides free.The steps are hard to keep,thought the carpet would be easier to keep clean and also be a change,add some warmth
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2015, 01:55 PM
London Stone is lovely as is Oxford stone This is were the little sample pots come in handy
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2015, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Mandyuk1 View Post
Could you not sand down the paneling? So it's a lighter colour to match the antique cream colour, And hope you don't mind saying I wouldn't carpet your stairs, either
Will have to sand it down,regardless Its just wood everywhere needs updated a little.I love wood,don't get me wrong but think it would be lovely painted.OH agrees and the girls well..."please mum do something!!" seems to be their opinion
Course I don't mind you saying no carpet but you can not see a nice one of those new striped one's on there,just the middle bits,liven it up some?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-03-2015, 02:15 PM
I think the staircase needs sanding down or painted a paler colour, its making it look a lot darker than it needs to. Don't hate me
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-03-2015, 03:18 PM
You can't go wrong with a Deep Royal Purple on the panelling, Vivid Crimson carpeting for the stair treads Banister Rail and Spindles in Gold Leaf. The current trend for pale wishy-washy colours won't last - be bold and assertive and become the envy of your friends and contemporaries. Also - from an interior design point of view - it's always a good thing to have your staircase lit by chandeliers, the top one of which should be the slightly smaller of the pair so as to increase perspective and add length and height to the staircase feature. Hope you don't mind me pointing out that a few well chosen oil paintings (aged relatives and forebears - you know that sort of thing) would add something to the wall and give visitors something to admire as they ascended. If you go for the oil paintings I would suggest heavy gilt frames of a pre-victorian style and of course these would sit beautifully on your antique cream walls, so no extra expense would be incurred there by having to re-paint same! Hope this helps, good luck!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >