Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jeffpas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-06-2017, 03:21 AM

Dog suddenly refuses to go for walks

about 5 months old now, German shepherd mix puppy.
She spends her time in the backyard when I'm at work, but I usually like to take her for a walk as soon as I get home.

Last week a friend who has met her many times previously offered to take her for a walk. She came back in about 5 minutes and said they got to the end of the block and "She wanted to come back to you" so they came back, walk canceled.

Ewkay.
Well yesterday I got home and leashed her up, and the two of US started down the block. She suddenly sits down like a rock about half a block from the home. I literally had to drag her forward! I had no idea what was going on.
I finally just decided to let her decide where to go, just to see what the heck she wanted. She led me right back to the backyard, and up to the house! Who ever heard of a dog that doesn't want a walk.

Well, it happened again tonight. We got about two houses down, and Puppy Rock seizes to the ground immovable. To go forward would be like dragging a ball and chain, she refuses to even use her legs.
So we headed back home, and she happily trotted right back up to the back door to go inside.

I had two dogs for 16 years and neither one of them ever did this once. I'm baffled.

???? ???
Airwrecka
New Member!
Female 

28-06-2017, 07:50 AM
I have also seen that happen to my sister.

She says that it's a bad idea to let the dog keep up that behaviour, since it will encourage her to keep doing that in the future.

As for finding out a way to make the pup budge. I dunno what would work for your case. But what I did was just let both my dog and I have a quick break, feed him some water and snacks, and he just started walking happily again.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2017, 07:57 AM
This can be because the pup has a pain in its joints and doesn't want to walk. Only give light exercise for awhile and she will soon be ok. Many Golden Retrievers do this. Too much quick growth causing joints to be painful. Does she have something soft to lie on in your backyard only this can also present with painful joints when moving if laying on hard ground for any length of time.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2017, 08:04 AM
Is it possible to go a different route?
It would be interesting to see how she reacts to going a different way. Is there anything on her usual route that is worrying her.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2017, 09:55 AM
Is it just on these two walks?

Has she been OK on the other walks in between the ones where she's but the brakes on?

If it is intermittent, it may be growing pains, a strain, some aches or pains that she is getting a little grief from.

If she isn't having regular walks, it may also be that she is becoming wary of being walked outside her own space
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2017, 02:06 PM
Not ruling out any of the above,all good points.Just wondering if it could be a sound or smell in that area that's putting her offIts possible it maybe something you can neither hear or smell yourself,dogs out rank us in both departmentsWhat if you carry a little of her favourite treat next time.Produce it while your approaching her dreaded spot and hold it in front of her nose while you pass by(hopefully)Like giving on something else to focus on at that moment.Loads of praise after and the treat of course.Maybe if she passes once or twice without issue,it'll be no problem after thatTry to remain calm as possible yourself and not expect the behaviour,she'll sense all of it.Good luck
jeffpas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-06-2017, 11:08 PM
The growing pains/joints thing makes sense.
She had been lying on the ground all afternoon. When I first had her in the yard it was in a pen, about 10ft round and that has a cushioned doghouse in the middle of it. She uses that but also likes to lay out on the ground beside it.

Recently I've been leaving the pen open and giving her the run of the backyard. She's kept out of the garage and the side driveway, and its been working fine.
Strangely, she still spends almost all of her time inside the pen, as far as I can see. She seems to think its her 'home'. At least as far as the yard goes.

The two sit-down incidents happened when I took her right out for a walk after being in the yard all afternoon.
At other times she came inside for awhile first. She's been happy to go blocks then, though she's still quite afraid of cars.
I'll try a walk at a different time and see if we get a repeat!
Was quite dramatic, curious neighbors looking on (of course).
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2017, 04:23 AM
Definitely sounds as if she has joint twinges. If she is afraid of cars then take that slowly. When a car comes past back up as far as you can up against a wall/hedge away from the edge of the pavement and just let her see them go by. Is she more afraid of them coming towards her or behind her before she sees them?
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-07-2017, 10:24 PM
I had a similar thing. Our dog mostly walks off the lead. Some timeas he't just park about 50 yards fom home. The darkness and association with fireworks. I'd just stroll on for a bit and take a seat just beyond his line of sight. He got over it but he is still a bit nervous with loud noises.

Patience and a bit of TLC worked for us.