Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laura1980
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-08-2006, 06:48 PM

Bruised where vet took blood

We took our Springer Spaniel to the vet a week ago and he took blood from the dogs neck. A week on it's still very bruised and quite swollen and sore looking. Can anyone tell me if this is normal and when can i expect it to get back to normal?

Thanks

Laura.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2006, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Laura1980
We took our Springer Spaniel to the vet a week ago and he took blood from the dogs neck. A week on it's still very bruised and quite swollen and sore looking. Can anyone tell me if this is normal and when can i expect it to get back to normal?

Thanks

Laura.
Not normal in my experience. Mine that have had blood taken from the neck haven't had any noticable bruising or swelling. Could be that some blood had leaked out under the skin (which I think should have dispersed by now) or possibly infection has got in. I would have it checked by your vet.
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2006, 07:37 PM
I wouldn't have thought it would take that long to heal? Although I have never had a dog that has had its blood taken, ring your vet and ask probably best, they will know more than i do Hope it sorts its self out
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Hi Laura I agree with Pod, it is not normal after a week. You say 'sore looking' is it weeping? It really need checking by the vet to make sure there is no infection there..
Laura1980
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-08-2006, 09:52 AM
It's not weeping, there looks to be a scab or something over it, it's quite hard to the touch. At least he's letting me poke at it so it mustn't be bothering him too much. Thanx for all your advice, I will check with the vet and let you know the outcome.
sweetmimi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-08-2006, 10:15 AM
Does not sound normal to me I have never had a dog that has been bruised from taking blood from the main vein in the neck so I would get the vet to check it out just to be on the safe side.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2006, 02:50 PM
Just had a load of blood tests and it took more than a week for the bruising to subside, however one can't repeat often enough, if you, the owner, are worried then visit the vet, better to be worried about nothing 99 times if you get there early on the 1 time it matters.